Author Topic: Soft Top Locking Pin - Does It Adjust?  (Read 4786 times)

dtuttle123

Soft Top Locking Pin - Does It Adjust?
« on: September 07, 2008, 18:55:23 »
I have a new soft top, and I'm having trouble locking the rear pin. It 'almost' catches, but not quite.  My question... can the box that contains the locking pin be adjusted - moved higher slightly.  I loosen the 4 screws on the box, but the box didn't seem to move. I need just 1/4" more.

When the new top was installed, it did in fact lock, but I haven't used it in 6 months - so no problem with a bent frame.

I need to stretch the new soft top out a bit, and I left it in the hot sun today - but no luck.  I've tried the method of slightly engaging the 2 front latches in the front, and then trying to lock the rear pin.  I also have tried loosening the 4 screws on the soft top frame to move it back a bit, but the canvas is too tight, and no play there.

I also thought about the white socks and jumping off the garage rafter to lock the rear pin method advocated back in 2005!!

Any suggestion or confirmation that the rear pin box does in fact adjust up?

Doug
1967 250SL
4-Speed, Orient Red, Leather

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: Soft Top Locking Pin - Does It Adjust?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 19:11:24 »
If it's because the canvas shrunk then I don't think you want to adjust anything.  What I would suggest is latch the back first, and then try to get the front pins to fit into the holes.  This will take two people.  If you manage to get it latched, leave it that way for several days.  We weighted ours down using a very heavy roll of plastic sitting on the softtop in various configurations over a period of a couple of days to stretch it.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

dtuttle123

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 03:10:25 »
Thanks Scoot -

I did try that - latching the back, and then securing the front - it's close, but I need a stronger wife!

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 03:45:39 »
The black box in the center of the rear will move maybe an inch. When the 4 bolts are loose the bock moves up and down along the elongated bolt holes.

If the box does not move up, it may already be in position at the upper end...try to move in both directions.

Usually have lock washers under each bolt...might be corroded or rusted in place. Maybe some WD40 or a gentle nudge with a wood block...or take the bolts out entirely and try to pry the box gently off the wall.

Not responsible for the results of your following these suggestions unless the box moves then I'll take credit.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

dtuttle123

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:05:59 »
Thanks Richard!  I'll try your suggestion (with the disclaimer).  I think it might be a little corroded - need a little more time to work on it.  

Thanks!  Doug

abe280SL

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 21:43:36 »
What I do is get the two front latches in place and partually lock it in place...but not all the way.  Then, I get on the back latch and crawl on the softop rim and with either my knee or arm press down on the back latch.  Finally, I go back to front ones and complete the turn.
Be careful not to place your knee on the back fender ...or you could put a small dent if you are heavy person like me.  It also helps to have a small step stool to get you mounted on the back.
abe
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 21:46:17 by abe280SL »

Bob G

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:34:31 »
I have the same problem with my soft top. German canvas good condition. I firdt checked to see if I could move the lock box up no success there. then thried to half lock the dront pins after I locked down the the rear. put three gallons of water in plastic containers on the front edge of the soft top for  weight.
Still having a problem if I lock down the front locking guides all the way the rear flips up.
could the rear locking  box be defective? all else seems to point to correct  proceeder in the orders manual.
Bob Geco

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:38:59 »
Bob,

I would strongly suggest that your frame is in the wrong place. When I first put my new top on - having removed and cleaned up the frame - I couldn't latch the front or back. I set about removing shims, moving the frame around, etc, and finally it now closes properly - ie close the front fully and then push down on the back to lock.

I've posted quite a lot here about adjusting the top.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL