Author Topic: Right Side Mirror, doesn't look correct  (Read 6047 times)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Right Side Mirror, doesn't look correct
« on: September 07, 2008, 15:39:20 »
Question about a right side mirror mounted on a 280 SL.

The neck of the right side mirror is longer and curves more sharply toward the window than the original mirror on the left side.

The long neck mirror cannot be adjusted for rear view even though mounted in the same relative position as the left side mirror. The right side neck curves the mirror into the window.

Is this right side mirror from another car? or what is the problem here?

Can the problem be fixed by getting a correct right side mirror? What is the part number of a correct mirror? Is the part number stamped on the mirror base?

Here's a photo of the long curved neck

Download Attachment: Mirror_Rightside.jpg
56.43 KB

Here's a photo of the original left side mirror for comparison. Even though the angle of the photos are not the same, you can probably see that the neck of the left mirror is short and straight.

Download Attachment: Mirror_Leftside.jpg
54.98 KB
Richard M, NYC

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 15:42:14 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
Re: Right Side Mirror, doesn't look correct
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 17:38:57 »
Richard:
  The bottom picture appears to be a right side also??  At any rate my right side mirror is the same shape arm length as the left (maybe a mirror image?). The mirror in your first picture does not appear to be for a 113.  Sorry, no part # appears on my mirror.

Rick
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 17:39:51 »
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but I was able to get the "correct" (at least for me) right side mirror from SLS. Probably for a right-hand drive SL. You should be able to find it on there website.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 18:44:37 »
Both of the pictures look like a right side mirror to me...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:03:18 »
My Mirrors (if it helps);

Right:

Left:

naj
68 280SL

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:05:09 »
Hello Richard,

Umm, that mirror on your passenger door is from a sedan model.  The curve of the door top is steeper hence the curve, whilst the SL is a flatter top and a straight line for the mirror neck.

Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 16:37:52 »
Richard, greetings;
I recently learned a bit about mirrors that may pull that thorn from your paw. There are apparently several OEM mirrors that look very much alike. The one that I think will please you --given today's impossible market for this sort of thing-- is the 108 811 0625. It's nearly identical to the correct 113 810 2816 and sold both as decent used and NOS in packaging. The 113 seems unobtainable, or nearly. [Reminds me of an adage from hotrod heydays; "Speed costs money; how fast do you want to go?"]

The 108 mirror's neck is ~12mm taller than that of our 113; nearly unnoticeable unless side-by-side. The foot is identical, to include the mounting pad and stud placement: should be totally interchangeable. The angle of the neck is nearly identical as well...has to be a vast improvement on the present 'intruder'.
I've heard that various sedan mirrors sometimes showed up from M-B as repair part substitutions in olden tymes; surely that one's a bit of a stretch. Part numbers nestle in the concavity of the mirror's foot, between the studs.
I have also seen (illustrated but not in hand) a good-looking newly-minted copy of the RH 113 mirror offered for sale by an eBay vendor of quite good repute.

Denny
(pagoden: entity formerly known as 3-point roadster)
1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904