Author Topic: soft top window cleaning  (Read 8592 times)

hauser

soft top window cleaning
« on: September 05, 2008, 22:07:03 »
Currently I am using Meguiar's products for cleaning my soft top window.  It looks great when I'm finished but doesn't hold up for very long.  The plastic window attracts dust like a magnet. Is it possible that the friction from the cleaning process creates more static?  

The products I'm using are #10 clear plastic polish, #18 clear plastic detailer and #17 clear plastic cleaner.  

I would like to know what the rest of you guys are using and how often.  BTW my top is relatively new.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: soft top window cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:00:08 »
I also use the #17 cleaner and #10 polish. I've only used them twice in about 5 years, the first time it was necessary to remove some light scratches and haziness (which came out completely), the second time was sort of general maintenance, although the plastic was still like-new. So in my case the treatment has held up very well and I've also not noticed any dust build-up. Static charge should dissepate within a very short time (minutes?) I would imagine, maybe it would help if you would pass a moist towel over the surface after cleaning, I would expect that would cure any static.

Peter van Es' window was very foggy when he decided to attack it with (I think) #17; after a lot of elbow grease and half the bottle, it came out vastly improved.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

tuultyme

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 20:42:33 »
I use a product called Plexus found in boating stores.  I usually apply it two times a year;  once when I take the top out after winter and again when just before I put it away.

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 22:21:38 »
The static is probably a never ending battle worsened by regional atmospheric conditions. The windows are made of vinyl...just think of all the dust and static on records. There was some reason for this in plastic...I can no longer remember the science behind why plastic parts are so prone to static.

This is also the reason why all the vinyl sided houses are always filthy.

In the plastics factory if they wanted something to stay dirt free we had something called anti-stat that we sprayed on the parts. I can't remember if it looked greasy.

hauser

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 23:41:56 »
I did a bit of reading on a Jeep forum and one guy had mentioned something about boating products.  One other fellow said he uses lemon Pledge furniture polish and a another guy uses a motorcycle product.

tuultyme

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 10:11:22 »
Never use a product with lemon in it on plastic windows

hauser

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:21:04 »
I figure that those Jeep soft tops see some pretty nasty stuff.  Maybe the lemon helps cut through the road grime?  Not something I'll try with my top.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:33:57 by hauser »

gary brown

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 01:46:29 »
JUST A TIP  WHEN THE WINDOW GET CREASED TRY USING HEAT GUN BUT BE CAREFLU I USE ONE ON MY 107 THE ROOF HAD BEEN IN THE SAR FOR 7 YEAR S AND THE HARD TOP WAS ALWAYS ON THE WINDOW WAS HARD AND THIS SORTED IT OUT IT SOFTENS THE PLASTIC AND ALSO IT ACTS REMOVES CREASES

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 07:04:31 »
Folks,

Our rear plastic windows get little respect.  Either they are semi-permanently locked up with the soft top and rarely used (like mine) or they might be up all the time, thus suffering UV exposure.  Neither is really good for the vinyl.  One causes creases and scratches, the other accelerates the aging process.  Ugh.

Hauser, if you are satisfied that your window is getting cleaned properly but you believe that static is causing it to be a dust magnet, next time you clean it, try spraying Static Guard on a clean cloth and doing a final wipe of the window with that.  We used to use it on rotating Lexan/Perspex drums in the printing industry to do the same thing--prevent dust attraction.  It worked well.  You can get Static Guard at any grocery, drug or hardware store.

Our windows are clear PVC which is vinyl.  They are clear and flexible due to plasticizers in the vinyl.  The plasticizers eventually "outgas" from the vinyl, and then it begins to yellow and get hard, or at least, lose its suppleness.

The vinyl compound is pretty similar to clear vinyl tubing; (Richard, that's the tubing I sent you for your washer fluid); I would imagine differences only because of vendors.

According to my chemical charts for the effect of various cleaning agents and chemicals on clear PVC vinyl, concentrations less than 10% of "mild" acids such as acetic are listed as a good resistance; it goes down with higher concentrations; at 60%, it is still good to fair; concentrated is not recommended.  [Why on earth anyone would consider using something you need a mask and gloves for to clean a window is a bit beyond my comprehension.]  Citric Acid is listed as good resistance in any concentration.  Putting it into perspective, pure lemon juice is a 5% citric acid concentration.  The lemon in any cleaning product is going to be somewhat more dilute than pure lemon juice; it should not be an issue unless the manufacturer precludes plastic use, and I bet that would be because of solvents, not because of lemon.

About the only chemicals that we might have general access to as car buffs that really attack clear PVC vinyl with immediate results are organic solvents; things such as toluene, trichlorethylene, etc.  So, spray cans of carb cleaner, brake cleaner and commercial degreasers are a no-no.  They just about all tell you that, too.  Read the labels.

Clear PVC vinyl is even resistant to alcohol and ammonia--think Windex and tradional window cleaners.

So, what should you use?  Well, if your window is really full of dirt and dust, to prevent scratching the best thing to do is use water or air.  You simply want to get the dust and dirt off of it with no friction.  When you've removed as much of the dust and dirt as you can by air and water, then use a purpose made cleaner for plastics; if you don't want to spend the money on that a little soap works too--just something with some surfactants in it.

I would not be afraid of window cleaners, any lemon products, etc. unless they specifically preclude use on plastics; but mostly they are not that necessary.

Like so many other things, the manufacturers have all kinds of things out there for us to spend our money on to clean our clear plastic windows.  You'll find a selection at any auto parts store and maybe more at a boat store (probably at a higher price!) Here's a few products and tips to explore:

http://www.diamondite.com/

http://www.hurricaneshuttersflorida.com/flashutter/windows/TheCareandFeedingofYourClearVinylBoatWindows.htm

http://www.ez2cy.com/other_enclosures/e_printable.html

http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/MKT/MKT6414.html

http://www.autogeek.net/3mplasclean.html

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_list.asp?HDR=search&SEARCH=plastic
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:14:59 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 08:38:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

Folks,

Our rear plastic windows get little respect.  Either they are semi-permanently locked up with the soft top and rarely used (like mine) or they might be up all the time, thus suffering UV exposure.  Neither is really good for the vinyl.  One causes creases and scratches, the other accelerates the aging process.  Ugh.

A friend with a 113 gave me what looks like a soft salami that is the width of the top.  It sets in the window fold when it's down and ensures a nice gentle roll of the window rather than a crease.  It's basically a soft sleeve with a foam insert.  I think the large foam water pipe wrap found in hardware stores might be an easy alternative.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:39:10 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

hauser

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 12:32:42 »
Michael, you've certainly done your homework on this one.  Thanks so much.  I'll try some of the different products and report back my findings.

I believe one culprit to my dust accumulation problem is the central vac system we have.  It keeps our indoor air cleaner but I'm afraid the tiny particles are dumped into the garage.  I'll see if Beam the manufacturer has some sort of filter for the outlet.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 13:56:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

Michael, you've certainly done your homework on this one.  Thanks so much.  I'll try some of the different products and report back my findings.

I believe one culprit to my dust accumulation problem is the central vac system we have.  It keeps our indoor air cleaner but I'm afraid the tiny particles are dumped into the garage.  I'll see if Beam the manufacturer has some sort of filter for the outlet.

Based on their factory diagrams, the Beam central vac systems operate much like my car wash vacs, except you have or should have, an exhaust that goes OUTSIDE.  If properly installed, the unit should offer little or no air or dust movement around the vac unit itself.

That being said, I know that my garage is incredibly dusty and dirty.  Probably due to the trees in my neighborhood amongst other things.  Compare and contrast to thelews who has a garage cleaner than my house, and doesn't need any water (just a damp rag!) to clean his cars!

Feel around your vac; if you feel any air motion when on, it might be blowing dust around.  Also try the Static Guard, it might help.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 14:16:40 »
The Beam wasn't in the picture when the house was on the drawing board so it didn't get vented to the outside. :(

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 14:17:16 by hauser »

abe280SL

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 18:39:03 »
I like using "sprayway" glass cleaner...good for glass and plastic.
abe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 06:22:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

The Beam wasn't in the picture when the house was on the drawing board so it didn't get vented to the outside. :(

Hauser, unless you have an older unit, it shouldn't be a big deal to vent it to the outside; all current models have the option.  There's generally an outlet (probably uses 1.5" or 2" PVC) and all you need to do is vent it through a wall.  Even if they didn't locate it in an optimal location (like ON an outside garage wall) you can still run the pipe where you need to.  Unless there's something very peculiar about your house; the unit; or its location, shame on the installer.  Most homes around here have had these retrofitted and they are all vented to the outside with PVC.

Even if your home is made of concrete, a $60 rotary hammer from Harbor Freight will have a hole in the wall pretty quickly.  If you can work on your Pagoda, you can do this.

Who wants that air motion, dust and germs anyway blowing around their garage?  Pagoda or no Pagoda; that's why they have the vent.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid