Author Topic: heater controls  (Read 3674 times)

bfeldman

heater controls
« on: August 28, 2008, 12:10:17 »
I need to replace the controls on the dash of my 1968 280sl.  How do I remove the chrome face plate and replace the control levers?
Where can I purchase the necessary parts?
Thanks, Barry

forrestjordan

Re: heater controls
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 15:16:09 »
Use the search function here and you will find a huge amount of information on the subject and will be able to do it yourself..

bfeldman

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 19:42:07 »
Thanks for the quick reply.
I must be stupid, but I can't find the "search function" you refer to
Can you please give me a little more giudance
Thanks.\, Barry

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 22:02:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by bfeldman

Thanks for the quick reply.
I must be stupid, but I can't find the "search function" you refer to
Can you please give me a little more giudance
Thanks.\, Barry

The search function is accessed through the hyper-link entitled "Search" usually found near the top right of each forum page (between the "Members" and the "FAQ" hyper-links).

The direct link to the search function is  http://sl113.org/forums/search.asp?FORUM_ID=17

Happy searching!

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

westview95

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 14:57:12 »
Barry,

There's great information (with step by step instructions with pictures) in the Technical Manual here. Click into it from the homepage, then Heating, then Replacing Heating Levers.
The answer to your question is - you remove the chrome faces by removing nuts which hold them to the dash. Then you can remove the heating lever assembly. The parts can be had thru any of the vendors (Adsit, etc.). I think there's even a set on eBay right now. Definitely replace all four once you have it out.
I'm not the most mechanical guy in the world, but since I started hanging out here, I got the confidence to do it, and completed mine in about 6 hours (disassembly and assembly). The instructions here were invaluable. Good luck.

Bill
71 280SL