Author Topic: seat belts  (Read 3498 times)

bfeldman

seat belts
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:42:11 »
I've got a 1968 280sl with a kinder rear seat and want to install retractable belts, but it appears that the location of the retractor will interfere with the distance that I can move the seat.
Can anyone give me a solution?

Thanks, Barry

Douglas

Re: seat belts
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:20:18 »
Barry,

Can you clarify what you mean by "move the seat"? Is this a transverse rear seat or a bench seat you had in mind?

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: seat belts
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 22:08:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas

Barry,

Can you clarify what you mean by "move the seat"? Is this a transverse rear seat or a bench seat you had in mind?

I think he means that due to the presence of the kinder seat, the most obvious placement for the belt retraction mechanism would be right behind the passenger seat. This would limit the amount by which the passenger seat could be moved backwards.

On non-kinder-seat cars, the best place for the retraction mechanism is actually underneath the rear parcel shelves (with slight modification of shelves), which would allow both seats to travel the entire range.

Regarding the original question, I don't have a solution (I too have a kinder seat). So far I have only lap belts, but before the car gets back on the road, I plan on fitting three-point kangols (which don't have the retraction mechanism).

Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas