Author Topic: Racing or Rallying W113?  (Read 11495 times)

Malc

Racing or Rallying W113?
« on: November 08, 2003, 16:35:04 »
In researching my "project" I have come across some pictures of W113's racing and Stage Rallying. Does anybody know if the factory supported this and what modifications if any were done? Were they compeditive in their day?
The reason I am asking is that I have had another long hard look at the pictures I took of my car and I am in two minds as to whether I restore back to original or maybe prepare it for historic racing or rallying. I know what's involved and there is a strong historic rallying scene in the UK.
I appreciate your help and comments on this.
Thanks
Malc
Scotland

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Racing or Rallying W113?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 09:42:12 »
Malc,
For the first couple years that the W113 was available, the factory raced them in rallies to prove their performance and durability.  The W113 did very well, winning several over all victories and several class victories.  One victory, the first, was featured in the latest Pagoda World.  This article included the list of modifications for this particluar car.

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Malc

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 11:30:34 »
Rodd,
Silly question
How do I get a copy of the article?

The reason I am thinking of going this way is that the whole of the interior is completly shot, water/sun damage, much welding needs doing and to be honest I fancy the idea of something alittle different to rally in my old age, I'm in my late 40's.
Appreciate your help
Malc

quote:
Originally posted by rwmastel

Malc,
For the first couple years that the W113 was available, the factory raced them in rallies to prove their performance and durability.  The W113 did very well, winning several over all victories and several class victories.  One victory, the first, was featured in the latest Pagoda World.  This article included the list of modifications for this particluar car.

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420

Bob G

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 15:17:22 »
The star Magazine had an article on the Bollinger 230SL rally car and the factory museum recreation. some good pictures. ALso one of our technical experts & MBCA  Concours chair Peter Lesler build and raced a 230SL vintage race prep car SCCA qualified. You might want to e-mail him about the car. w113sl@aol.com.
Bob Geco

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 15:26:45 »
Malc,

Hi.  By registering on this forum you became a "Basic Member" of our group.  If you pay the 30 dollars/euros then you can become a "Full Member" and receive the quarterly Pagoda World published by this group.  Issue 3 is due in December!

http://www.sl113.org/membership/default.asp

http://www.sl113.org/PW_pdf_link1.asp

We have considered selling back issues on an individual basis, but we have not settled on some issues regarding that practice.

Thanks,

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 09:35:10 »
I am seriously considering prepping my SL 113 for historic rallying (which clearly is different from racing). However, before I would do any modifications at all I would verify FIVA rules or local rules on what modifications are allowed on your car to still let you participate in the class you intend to drive in.

I am looking at none too serious modifications, other than making sure the car is technically in excellent shape: period driving lamps, Halda twinmaster, navigation lights, fire extinguisher etc. Additionally I am planning on adding mud & snow tires and removing hub-caps.

I am not planning to add roll-cage, special fuel tanks, centre mounted driving light. I basically want to be able to get the car pretty much back to original state.

I just participated in my first serious historic rally two weeks ago, as a navigator in a Ford Lotus Cortina of 1965. It was good fun, even though, in sports class, it was hard work and we did not finish very high.

Peter

Check out http://bali.esweb.nl for photographs of classic car events and my 1970 280 SL
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Malc

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003, 06:20:12 »
Hi Van
Yes hear what your saying, in the UK you have to go by the MSA says in the "Blue Book" as well as what Bernie and Max say, oh sorry the FIA
Even if you go historic rallying you need modern safety stuff, however depends on wether your doing road or tarmac events, or going stage rallying ie through the woods which is my preference.
Still got to get the car shipped yet
Cheers
MAlc

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 22:44:09 »
Hello Malc,

For years I rallied a 1968 Mercedes (W114) sedan with a W113 (280-SL) engine which I installed and modified. I ran it in the SCCA Pro Rally Series some of which were FIA events. Saving weight is a big advantage. Lightening up the car will increase its performance and durability. No major modifications were made to the engine. I did port and polish the cylinder head ports, which made a slightly noticable increase in power at high rpms.

A super heavy duty skid plate is critical. A four speed transmission was used with a full race metal clutch disc and double sprung pressure plate. The ignition was standard but the electronic units of today would be better. We used the original plastic covers for the distributor, coil and ignition points to help keep everything waterproof. Only the rear muffler was used to save weight, it also sounded great. I installed a 4:08  differential for acceleration. We also welded the rear differential solid for better traction on those wet slippery forest roads. A posi-traction rear diff. was available if you could find one.

I used only an electric radiator fan and removed the engine fan to conserve power. Other minor changes were heavy duty Bilstien shocks, heavier duty motor mounts (from MB V-8), alloy wheels, lighter Recaro seats, lightened body panels (fiberglass), factory trunk spoiler (500-SL) etc. The battery was relocated under where the back seat once was, for better weight distribution. Of coarse this type of rallying did require a full roll cage (used on several occassions) fire suits, etc. I added a fuel pressure guage, an oil temperature guage, vaccuum gauge, and volt gauge to the dash.

Navigational equipment was a Halda Twinmaster and Speedpilot, although computerized equipment was beginning to be used by the factory sponsored teams. The car would do 0 to 60mph in six seconds flat. It was very durable and competative. Lighting was critical, since most US performance rallies are held at night. We used higher voltage bulbs in the regular headlights and added two Hella flood lights pointed outward for cornering, also added two spotlights for long range one being a "pencil beam" with a range of nearly two miles. I forgot to mention we did install a larger Bosch alternator also.

I know you do not plan to run these stage rallies, but some of these preparations may be useful to you. Good luck.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio

Download Attachment: CREEK.jpg
44.44 KB

Download Attachment: POR.jpg
48 KB
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003, 23:00:54 by ja17 »
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 04:16:59 »
Having worked for a Pro-Rally team and Having been around it most of my life I can safely state that if ever a sport called for as strong and as rust free a chassis as possible rallying would be it. I honestly would start with a perfect chassis. I would also be concerned about the hardtop coming off in a rollover. Being nicknamed "Lefty" isn't a life goal.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 06:30:45 »
Hello,
I was foliowing the "Around the World" vintage rally a couple of years ago. There were two or three W113 cars involved. One was restored by Mercedes Classic Center and driven by Picasso's son. Some of the sections were performance stages (race sections). After traveling across Europe, Eastern Europe,parts of the old Soviet Union, China, Alaska and down the Canadian Rockies, he entered Montana and rolled the car. He was able to continue with some body panel damage. He successfully finished the rally after crossing the US, traveling through the Sahara and back through Spain and France. I believe he did have a roll bar and hard top during the event.
A competition complete competition history, club events, rallies, larger sanctioned events could be an interesting topic for an artical.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 10:48:16 »
That is a sight to see!!
113s in the Round the World in 80 Days rally, available on video.
naj

'Kloines Scheisserle'
65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 09:19:18 »
Joe,
 I happened to be in Duluth Minnesota when the rally came through town. I was lucky enough to be in a friends shop and was pressed into service on the Mercedes sponsored Ponton of Kevin Clemmons and Mark Rinkel. The car had broken the cam towers for the second time and we also replaced the trans and starter. It seems they had been bungee cording the trans into 4th gear.
 I did see the Picasso 113 and at that time I believe it had a new windshield taped over the opening because the opening was no longer the right shape. The car did have a cage and by the looks of the interior I think a little more trunk room would have been a bonus.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 21:52:06 »
Hello Tom,
Yea, I was talking to Frank Barret  of "The Star", he said he delivered the transmission to Duluth. Sounds like the top deck of the cylinder head was warped causing those cam towers to break. I would like to run one of those marathon rallies some day. I followed the event on the web, (results and photos everyday) always some interesting stories. Kevin Clemmons is living here in the Columbus area now, but I have not run into him yet.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally