Author Topic: New Style Wind Deflector  (Read 10096 times)

DavidBrough

New Style Wind Deflector
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:17:01 »
Following a visit to the MB Club SL rally recently where I was introduced to a very neat wind deflector I decided to treat myself. My existing one was a bit on the large side and slightly flimsy albeit still effective.

I have to say that this new one is an excellent fit as it has been tailored to sit inside the soft top cover and fits very sturdily without the need for any bolts or screws. It is stunningly simple and looks the proper job. I had toyed with the SLS version but at Euro748 it is very expensive and this one is a much better fit.

The supplier is www.pagodenteile.de/1.htm and the product is SLService Windschott, eigenes Produkt, 230 SL - 280 SL Abb. Euro357 or Euro398 delivered to the UK. It’s all in German I’m afraid but its about half way down the page. It is possible to have the page translated but it’s not very clear and you can’t access the pictures. Ordered mine last week and it arrived today and I’m very impressed. Hopefully I will get chance to properly test it next week as I’m off to Lake Annecy for a few days.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C & 3.46 Axle

Download Attachment: Old1.jpg
152.23 KB

Download Attachment: Old2.jpg
149.77 KB

Download Attachment: New1.jpg
193.08 KB

Download Attachment: New2.jpg
163.07 KB

Download Attachment: New3.jpg
167.49 KB

Download Attachment: New4.jpg
262.97 KB

Download Attachment: New5.jpg
166.29 KB

Download Attachment: New6.jpg
174.1 KB

Download Attachment: New7.jpg
259.41 KB

hauser

Re: New Style Wind Deflector
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 12:44:16 »
I have the "new" version.  My only gripe about it is that seats with headrests can interfere with the screen.  It might be okay if the driver is 5'6" and under but a taller driver will not be able to recline or push seat too far back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:44:34 by hauser »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 14:53:56 »
After almost a year looking at various wind deflectors (perspex, MBs own one, self-builds, etc) I've finally settled on the same one as David. I used it for the first time yesterday and the difference to not having one is profound. It's great and the construction is excellent. (They are a German part I think as some of the markings on the box are in German).  

These are available in the UK from a company called Adamesh - the website is www.adamesh.co.uk and they charge about £180 (a bit cheaper now than the Euro price I think).

I have dealt with Geoff at Adamesh (I think he's the owner). The customer service is utterly superb. They sent me one a while ago but it was slightly damaged in transit. I faffed about getting hold of them and when I did they sent me another by overnight courrier. The new one fits perfectly. They are sending a courrier to collect the old one. Truly excellent service. I highly recommend them and their product.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 15:32:29 »
A different (and probably very minority) view: when I drive with the top down, I drive with the top down. Windows down, wind blowing and I don't care or try to change that. If and when I get tired of the wind or when I get cold, I just put the top up. But nothing in between like: top down, windows up, windscreen in the back, sun visors pointing up - it just seems contradictory and I think it doesn't quite look right either (remember Billy Crystal: "It's not how you feel, it's how you look!").
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

paulr

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 15:44:31 »
I'm with you Cees.

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:28:55 »
Ah, the real difference between having a wind deflector or not is when the wife starts complaining about her coiffure being blown about you don’t have to put the hood up to make sure you still get your dinner on time.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C & 3.46 Axle

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 06:08:49 »
I object to be portrayed as some kind nancy boy wuss who's afraid of getting a bit of wind in his hair! The only reason that I got the thing, Cees, much like David was to make ownership more...shared. Since Her Indoors has consistently refused to do an Audrey Hepburn number and splash out on a wardrobe full of Hermes headscarves the only way to ensure that I have a female co-driver who doesn't have 4 legs and eat dried dog food twice a day was to get a wind deflector (although it does mean that the dogs can't use the back shelf, which upsets one of them as she quite likes the wind in her hair!) And Paulr, you get no points for jumping on the bandwagon!

(But I do agree that wind deflectors are a little bit iffy).

JH

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:13:56 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

graphic66

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 11:45:13 »
The wind deflector is the best thing you can put on your 113 for colder climates. I just love mine. We use it all the time. What a nice comfy ride on a cold October night with the windows up, the deflector up and the heat going with a clear sky. It works so good, I never take it off. It also gives you more privacy for your parcel shelf. I am no woosey thin blooded Los Angeles lightwieght either. But I do like my top down and not having the wind down my neck. I live in Upstate NY and our Summer is only a couple of weeks. The deflector really extends your top down experience. If you live in a colder climate, or your wife doesn't like her hair mused I highly recommend getting one.

paulr

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 14:24:55 »
"And Paulr, you get no points for jumping on the bandwagon!"

That's a bit unfair, I deserve points because..... points mean prizes.

I have considered one of these, especially as I sometimes drive from London to Toulouse in a day with the top down and having considered it all, I prefer not to have one, I'll stick with me hermes and glasses. I am not a purist as you may know and have all sorts of electrical add on's like electroniic ignition / red top battery /13amp plug sockets in the parcel shelf  / invertors / 12v sockets / 120 amp in the boot / 6x9 speakers under the soft top box etc, so am always looking for things to make the approx 25.000 miles I do a year more comfortable, I just didn't buy one of these.

So, come on now james and give me the points. Hows the car anyway ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 14:26:23 by paulr »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 14:57:46 »
The only way you're going to get points is if you can follow up on driving to Toulouse with the top down, by driving through the channel tunnel with your head out the window. See how that is for wind rushing through your hair.

In lieu of points, you can have a 6 set of crystal-effect wine glasses for casual dinning (dishwasher and tumble drier safe).

And the cars fine, AND it's in this month's MBUK Club Gazette - centrefold don'tcha know. (Baby blue with German plates with Naj's car next door).

Fame at last.

James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 06:03:39 »
Can anyone add anything about fitting one of these on a car with a Kinder Seat?
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Longtooth

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 21:02:46 »
That's like USD 500 +/- to keep my wife's hair from getting mussed?!!!!!??? You've got to be kidding me?  A hair brush costs USD 0.59 + tax at WalMart. A scarf costs USD 1.00.  A fancy "cool" women's hat costs USD 50 max... a baseball cap more like USD 10.

But what's domestic tranquility worth?  Millions if you intend on staying married!.. so USD 500 is just one of the minor prices paid to maintain it I guess.

Oh... and about cold nites... cold nights don't exist in California unless you're in the Sierra's (or Sierra foothills -- in deference to my W113 friends who live there) in dead of winter. Otherwise it's always balmy, low humidity, & never rains when you're out for a drive, unlike that little isle 22 miles west of the European continent.  I spent most of a summer there once... at least I think I was there in summer since I saw the sun for part of one day.