Author Topic: mystery holes cut in panels, covered with vinyl  (Read 2929 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
mystery holes cut in panels, covered with vinyl
« on: August 24, 2008, 22:15:56 »
I'm taking off various dash panels and trim panels in the interior of my car and finding that the aluminum under the vinyl sometimes has holes drilled in it the size of a typical switch.  For example, the upholstered panel to the lower left of the steering column is held in by one screw.  If I take out that screw and remove the panel, I can see that there are two holes cut in the panel, each around 14 mm in diameter.  It is not evident when the panel is installed because it is covered by upholstery.  Also, I notice that the sheet metal under the panel has indentations about the size of half of a golf ball directly under where these mystery holes exist.   Is the intention that this panel could house another switch and that the indentations in the sheet metal is to allow one to drill through it for a switch installation?

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Douglas

Re: mystery holes cut in panels, covered with vinyl
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:45:24 »
If I understand you correctly, I believe that's where the switch for the optional horn would go. There was an optional horn you could order from the factory that was a lot louder. You could switch back & forth between the two sets with the flip of a switch located under the steering column.