Author Topic: Caulk between pieces of chrome?  (Read 6098 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Caulk between pieces of chrome?
« on: August 24, 2008, 22:11:58 »
Sorry for the confusing subject line.  On the windshield piller of my car (and your cars) there is a piece of chrome that is screwed into the piller.  The rubber seal for the front of the door window fits into channels in this chrome piece.   When I replaced my piller rubber, I noticed crud in the chrome piece so I unscrewed it to clean it.  What I found is that on the backside (the side that presses against the piller) there was what appeared to be a bead of caulk or filler or something that would appear to seal between the two pieces of metal.  Is this normal?  If so, what is the stuff?  

In the process of replacing the molding on the hardtop (which is currently upside-down on my dining room table) I found a similar situation.  

So is there some sort of caulk that sometimes goes between pieces of metal in order to provide a water-tight seal?

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

bpossel

Re: Caulk between pieces of chrome?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 04:01:54 »
Hi Scott,

When I reinstalled my front windshield chrome, I installed a bead of silicon on the rear of the chrome and then screwed it on.  Did this on the pieces you mentioned and also the large chrome horizontal trim piece on top.  I also ran a thin bead of silicon on the inside of the vertical metal strip that holds the rubber seal.  Maybe not done originally, but dont want any leaks...
Bob  :)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:32:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

Hi Scott,

When I reinstalled my front windshield chrome, I installed a bead of silicon on the rear of the chrome and then screwed it on.  Did this on the pieces you mentioned and also the large chrome horizontal trim piece on top.  I also ran a thin bead of silicon on the inside of the vertical metal strip that holds the rubber seal.  Maybe not done originally, but dont want any leaks...

Silicon caulk?  Silicon lubricant?  I'm assuming caulk, like I would buy at at the hardware store....    

Thanks!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

paulr

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:02:27 »
I used black bathroom sealant smoothed over with washing up liquid.
quote:
Originally posted by scoot

quote:

Hi Scott,

Silicon caulk?  Silicon lubricant?  I'm assuming caulk, like I would buy at at the hardware store....    

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:02:54 by paulr »

redpagoda

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 05:30:39 »
Generally speaking it is usually black urethane that is there to act as a seal and prevent water from permeating between the two pieces of chrome causing rust to develop in the screw holes.

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:40:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by scoot

quote:

Hi Scott,

Thanks!

I would also recommend that you look for silicone and not silicon...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 07:41:37 by Paddy_Crow »