Author Topic: black plastic heater vent box  (Read 3509 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
black plastic heater vent box
« on: August 02, 2008, 16:09:40 »
part number 113-831-0405    Does anyone have a picture of how the cable goes into and connects to the box-Mine never has worked correctly--I removed it today, and I am determined to fix it.   The cable goes from here to the clear plastic lever on the dash------I know there is a little hole in the black plastic part with a rubber grommett. Mine has a bracket connected here also on the black box, but I need to know if something is missing. Mine has only a bracket with an indentation for the cable to lay up against. Is there another side of this bracket that bolts the cable on?----there is a hole in the bracket which seems to me, there should be something bolting the outside of the cable to it-----------so when the lever is turned on the dash-it pulls the wire and holds the outside of the cable
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: black plastic heater vent box
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 17:37:37 »
My box did not work well because the Bowden cable was bent - in order to replace it you need to open up the box. Replace it only with the correct Mercedes part.
Here are pictures of what the box looks like on the inside. The cable feeds through the grommet and hooks into the flap mechanism. The yellow part shown needs an additional  "snap lid" (not clearly shown) to hold the cable firmly.
Most likely the foam layers are also crumbling.  Replace with new 4-5mm thick material. Foam sheets are available from McMaster-Carr [http://www.mcmaster.com/].
The box is stapled together and can be taken apart easily - putting it together again is a different story. Get a good stapler - best would be an air-driven one - and a heat gun. You need to heat up the plastic otherwise the plastic will crack when you staple it together again.
Yup, another new adventure!  :)
Good luck!

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 18:35:35 »
do you what the snap lid looks like? tahnk you so much for the pictures-I will not have to take mine apart. I can use my dental tool and change the cable-does anyone know what the snap clip looks like that goes on the other side of the bracket he has shown in the picture?
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 19:02:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by rmmchl
... I can use my dental tool and change the cable...

Hmm .. in return for the picture of the snap clip, how about posting some pictures showing us how you do this?  Fair deal?

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 21:49:56 »
i don't have a scanner-thank you for the picture. Do you know if there is a part number , or where I can purchase one of those clips?
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red