Author Topic: manual shift lever cuff / boot  (Read 3572 times)

benzportland

manual shift lever cuff / boot
« on: June 26, 2008, 20:28:12 »
Could not find another post directly on this; my question is how to keep the boot / cuff in place at the base of the shift lever?  Is glue required?  The carpet grommet / ring is a bit wider than the boot, so I am wondering if that is the problem.  Thanks for your help.

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: manual shift lever cuff / boot
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 02:54:55 »
In two cars I am familiar with, one had the original carpet and the other had a newer carpet. In both cars, the replacement boot fit under the carpet and held without glue. The boot foot was larger than the carpet hole.

Perhaps the boot is not for a 113 car? or maybe the carpet is not correct or has a production defect?

Good idea to look at a few other cars to compare.

Richard M, NYC

Download Attachment: CarpetTemp.jpg
32.66 KB
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:55:33 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

benzportland

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:04:52 »
Thank you Richard.  I just ordered the boot new from the Classic Center, but am thinking their new size is a bit smaller.  My old one had torn near the top, but the base of it is still intact.  I compared that to the new one, and new one seems to be about 1/8 inch smaller in diameter.  I guess I will have to find some kind of creative solution, maybe gluing the new one onto the base of the old one.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:57:07 by benzportland »

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 11:59:16 »
The bottom of the rubber boot for the shifter fits on the outside of the plastic cover for the shifter.  The plastic cover is bolted to the trans tunnel.

benzportland

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 13:29:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by jeffc280sl

The bottom of the rubber boot for the shifter fits on the outside of the plastic cover for the shifter.  The plastic cover is bolted to the trans tunnel.

A million and one thanks!  I fit the boot over and around the "lip" of the plastic cover and it is very snug and holds in place like it should.  Now I have replaced those parts, all the bushings, the shift lever (which was the wrong later version and had been shortened crudely) and one of the push rods, and am just waiting for a new shifter ball from the Classic Center (ordered about 5 weeks ago [:(!])
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 13:33:15 by benzportland »