Author Topic: 4 QUESTIONS windshield/fuelpump/ext trim  (Read 7650 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
4 QUESTIONS windshield/fuelpump/ext trim
« on: May 31, 2008, 15:44:27 »
Three things
1. Even though I provided him with the instructions and forum responses...I go into the shop today and find the windshield guy put the windshield in with NO TRIM!. He said it was going to break the windshield if he used it.  My question now is can I get the trim into the windshield WITHOUT calling another guy to come out to take the windshield out and put it back in? and how?

2. The previous owner must have put this pump in.  The car starts and runs so I suppose it is ok, should I weld/bolt/something around it to act as a cover(i don't think the stock cover will fit) Also is there a way to check that the pump is putting out the right pressure? For outside of a small lot run I haven't tested the car on the road

3.  I notice that I have in the front lower wheel well on the back tires 2 screw holes, I also notice some under the rocker panels(Not the large trim holes these are like the door guard sized holes) Am I missing a piece?

4. with the convertible top down I see this piece on both sides in the convertible top boot that looks as though it should be attached to something.  What is it for?

Download Attachment: WINDSHIELD1.jpg
116.9 KB

Download Attachment: FUELPUMP1.jpg
187.06 KB

Download Attachment: WHEELWELL1.jpg
149.09 KB

Download Attachment: CONVTOPMECH.jpg
166.02 KB
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: 4 QUESTIONS windshield/fuelpump/ext trim
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 16:28:46 »
Here is the soft top mechanism on a 1969 car.

The small hole is for one side of the small spring...there is a larger hole used for the bigger spring.

Can't see the piece with the larger hole for the big spring in your photo....maybe it's the angle of the photo or maybe it broke off?  The other side of the frame can be used to compare parts.

Hope this helps.

Richard M. NYC

Download Attachment: STFrmPax2.jpg
241.79 KB
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 16:32:16 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 18:19:53 »
RE: The fuel pump.

If it is working OK--you idle fine, your midrange is OK, you can "pedal to the metal", etc. you probably don' have a fuel pump issue with this non-standard unit.

Since it is shown kind of horizontal (as opposed to the OEM vertical) you are probably fine.

Search other posts here; there are specs for both volume and pressure on the fuel pump.  If you meet these you are OK.  If you have troubles, I'd suggest going back to OEM.

This is what happens when those nefarious PO's see how much some parts cost.  The fuel pump, last I checked, was in the $700 range, and the cover for it, $150.  Now you know why they put in an aftermarket/non standard unit.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 22:05:15 »
I do not have that large spring at all.....what does it attach to?

quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

The small hole is for one side of the small spring...there is a larger hole used for the bigger spring.

Can't see the piece with the larger hole for the big spring in your photo....maybe it's the angle of the photo or maybe it broke off?  The other side of the frame can be used to compare parts.

Hope this helps.

Richard M. NYC

Download Attachment: STFrmPax2.jpg
241.79 KB

Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 03:59:11 »
One end of the large spring is hooked to the hole shown in the photo with the other end going into a hole about 10 inches to the rear on a metal tab in the soft top compartment.

I believe it is the two large springs that hold the rear of the soft top tightly against the frame when storing it so the top can be pulled out of the compartment without getting stuck.

Official name is "Compensating Spring" (Ausgleichfeder), Part #A 113 779 04 36. They are available from Mercedes and parts dealers.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

graphic66

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:44:34 »
Your windshield installer is not experienced with this job. Don't pay him. You need to have an experienced glass person remove the windshield and reinstall it properly. You cannot put the chrome in after it is installed, just as you can't take the chrome out without removing the windshield. You must place the gasket on the windshield, then install the chrome. Then you install the windshield, gasket and chrome into the car as a unit. Someone who knows what they are doing will have no problems.

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 06:44:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

The small hole is for one side of the small spring...

A friend of mine had a W113 which lacked this smaller, round spring. "Bow detention spring"
The part turned out to be not available (N/A) at Mercedes, SLS etc.

We manufactured it, and made some extra ones. They have correct dimensions and tension. If anyone should need one, drop me a mail
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:18:48 by mbzse »
/Hans S

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 02:54:59 »
Seriously though, when was the last year a car with chrome molding in the windshield was made? Sometime in the late 70's early 80's?

The windshield guy could have years of experience without ever having touched the chrome style. He however sounds like he has little sense because he should have known he lacked the skills and that installing it without the chrome wouldn't be acceptable.

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 18:47:22 »
My windshield was just installed last week and the chrome was installed after the windshield and rubber was in place.  I was told that the gentleman who set the winshield used a special tool to put the chrome trim on.  It looks perfect.
JohnS