Author Topic: Door Panel Removal  (Read 7188 times)

benzportland

Door Panel Removal
« on: May 23, 2008, 18:52:55 »
I have a new driver door mirror to install and have some very basic questions about the door panel removal.  I've found some earlier threads here but I think I need the dummy's version  :mrgreen:

What I am really wondering about is removal of the lock, latch, etc. which is necessary before removing the panel. Can't find any tips on this for some reason.  Also I am wondering if removal of the panel would disturb the window lift or anything else such as that I should be wary of?  Advice appreciated!

717-113

Re: Door Panel Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 19:26:49 »
Too remove the window crank, I think you pull the vinyl insert out, and there's a little screw holding it to the spindle. To remove the door lock, there two chrome pieces that can be slid outwards, hard to explain, but once slid out, you can access the bolts. To take off the door handle, pop the little black plastic bowl out, and there's a bolt hiding behind it. I think that's all the hidden stuff, but there are more screws holding the door panel to the door, but they should be easy to see.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:52:21 by 280SL71 »

717-113

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 19:39:03 »
Heres a Picture. I think this is all I took off to remove the panel, beside the screws holding it to the door. One is located under the armrest, atleast on my 230. Picture should tell you where to find the screws

Download Attachment: IMG_0576.JPG
223.52 KB
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 19:40:17 by 717-113 »

benzportland

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 20:52:18 »
Thank you so much - the pictures and descriptions actually do help alot.  Did you recall, did you have to remove the chrome strip at the top of the panel also?

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 21:25:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

Thank you so much - the pictures and descriptions actually do help alot.  Did you recall, did you have to remove the chrome strip at the top of the panel also?

The chrome strip at the top of the door panel comes off with the door panel.  After you have removed the door lock screws, window crank, chrome as shown, and possibly a screw under the arm rest (mine does not have this screw), and the grab handle if your door has a grab handle (screws under chrome covers for grab handle) then you can lift up on the door panel at the edge closest to the rear of the car and it will come up (slowly, it's detaching from clips along the top edge).   Note that somewhere I read that you need to remove the two screws going upwards that hold the armrest and are impossible to get to.  That is not the case -- those don't hold the door panel in and those are for removing the arm rest which must be done with the door panel out of the car after removing the door pocket from behind the panel.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 21:27:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by benzportland

Also I am wondering if removal of the panel would disturb the window lift or anything else such as that I should be wary of?  

Removing the door panel doesn't effect the window lift, but it does give you the opportunity to grease the window mechanisms and lock mechanisms.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:59:56 »
Also when the panel is removed, the entire inner door should be covered with a plastic sheet taped to the door all around. If the sheet is not there or needs to be replaced, a plastic garbage bag can be slit open then taped all around the inside of the door. This sheet is to have the rain runoff from the window flow down the sheet and not get to the inner part of the door.

The sheet goes inside, next to the door panel, and on top of all the door inner door parts...a few holes may be need for parts that are used for fastening the handle, etc.

Richard M, NYC
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:02:21 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

benzportland

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 20:41:07 »
Thanks guys for all the tips!  One thing I discovered on the brand new mirror the plastic mirror glass collar has a split on one end.  Then I started looking at the screws.  Yikes.  Some are missing, some appear to be household wood screws, etc. [:0]  So I called the Classic Center and they are sending a replacement set and a new collar, then maybe I can put the new mirror on

westview95

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 17:26:10 »
Any tips on remving the door panel on a 71 280SL. Specifically, I can't seem to figure out how to remove the window crank or the door lock. They look different than the 230 picture below. I removed the cover from the crank, and still can't figure it out. On the lock, there does not appear to be any screws visible. Thanks much,
Bill

westview95

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 18:27:58 »
Never mind; I figured it out (with a little help from an internet search). Now trying to make sure I remove the glass correctly, as my front and rear guides need to be re-attached. Thanks anyway.
Bill