Author Topic: Windshield install question  (Read 4307 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
Windshield install question
« on: May 22, 2008, 09:14:58 »
I have read all the archives and they are very helpful, I am hiring someone to put in windshield...long story... and I just finished painting.  I didn't take the car apart so I am not sure what pieces need to be in BEFORE I have the windshield installed.  I have put (they seemed to pressure fit in place) in the 3 large chrome pieces that surround the windshield and I think they need to be screwed in (does anyone know the screw size?) but I saw on one of the archives that there was glue in the upper corners where the chrome pieces come together.  What type and how much do I put?  ARE THERE ANY OTHER PIECES THAT HAVE TO BE IN BEFORE THE WINDSHIELD IS INSTALLED??  It looks as thought I can still get to the screw holes for the fresh air outside trim..although it will be a tight fit.  The dash pieces look as though they butt up against the windshield and can be placed after...is this correct?

Thanks, Bob

Download Attachment: windshield1a.JPG
73.47 KB

Download Attachment: windshield3a.JPG
79.74 KB
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

bpossel

Re: Windshield install question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 19:10:00 »
Hi Baron,

I used 3m silicon under the chrome pieces that surround the windshield, no glue.  I globbed a large chunk of silicon under each side of the top chrome piece and when it sqwished out, I just wiped it off.  They are a very tight fit, but with the added sealer, you will be ensure that you wont have any leaks in the future.

After fitting all of the chrome around the windshield, using chrome screws, you will need to install the top dahs pieces and even the wood.  Although I will most likely install my wood after the new windshield is installed.  I dont want the wood damaged.  Use a extra piece of leather to ensure that the top of the dash is not scratched with the screw from the wood bows.

I hope this helps. If not, please post add'l questions.
Bob  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 19:12:38 by bpossel »

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 19:36:24 »
So I need to put the dash in BEFORE the windshield is installed?   Also can you see the screws?  Is that why you say chrome screws?

Thanks, Bob
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 04:06:08 »
Hi Bob,

Mine are chrome screws.  Most likely chrome to minimze rust.  I am not sure of size (Naj?).  They are tapered machine screws.

My dash (top pieces) had a couple of screws that were located under the wood bows and at a slight angle towards the windshield.  Not sure how original those are?  Anyway, to remove them, my windshield had to be out.  I will reinstall the top dash pieces before the windshield guy installs the windshield.  I will try to ensure that the angle of the screws will allow for future removal without removing the windshield.  Maybe using one of those new thumb screw drivers would work best for the tight area between the windshield and the top of the dash.

I am sure others can jump in and comment.

Bob :)

quote:
Originally posted by BaronYoungman

So I need to put the dash in BEFORE the windshield is installed?   Also can you see the screws?  Is that why you say chrome screws?

Thanks, Bob

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 04:34:24 »
quote:
Mine are chrome screws. Most likely chrome to minimze rust. I am not sure of size (Naj?). They are tapered machine screws.

Sorry, not showing on my parts book.

From the 230 SL parts book:
N 007983 003225 x4 Lens Head Countersunk screw
A 000 985 0662  x4 Countersunk screw

N007982 003226 x2 Screw (showing on 230 and 280 lists)
naj
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 05:15:26 by naj »
68 280SL