Author Topic: Glove box light switch (?)  (Read 7133 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Glove box light switch (?)
« on: May 21, 2008, 21:28:27 »
The glove box of our 250 SL is the victim of someone else's upholstery person and I don't think he did things quite right.  In particular, when we remove the glove box, there is a switch on the right side of the dash that would ordinarily be pushed by the glove box door when it is closed.  But the glove box was upholstered everywhere, including along the right edge where it joins the rest of the dash, so the switch is covered and always in the depressed position.

We tried cutting a small hole in the vinyl where the existing larger hole is about the size of the bezel for the switch, and since the bezel is chrome, our assumption has been that the bezel goes on the outside of the glove box upholstery such that you would see it when you open the glove box.  The problem is it seems impossible to push the switch far enough forward for the threads that connect to the bezel to make contact with the bezel.  It might be easier to push on the switch if the car didn't have AC, but it does.  

Can someone post a picture of what the switch should look like with the glove box door opened?   I still think I have the right idea and assume that I can't get it in place because some metal was bent or something creating a space between the glovebox and the surface that it mounts against.

comments?
thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Glove box light switch (?)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 16:34:12 »
Hey Scott. Sorry I have no picture for you. And maybe that's a good thing because my glovebox has issues. First off, my metal "arm" that is welded to the door is missing so it must be locked to stay closed. Second, I was the one that tried to re-upholster the box. I had a guy sew the back seam for me -- but I put it in place. And I had a lot of trouble right around the area you are talking about (where the door latches nd where that push-pin is). It looks pretty lousy right there.

However, to maybe help answer your question... I believe the chrome bezel you mention stays behing the upholstery. Only, the push-pin protrudes out of the vinyl. I may be wrong on this but I seemed to remember it that way.
James
63 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 18:59:14 »
My glove box was setup with the switch being screwed onto the metal side of the dash (behind the material).  Only the plastic pin sticks thru the material.  The only way that one would be able to remove the switch is to remove the glove box and then unscrew the round chrome nut that holds the switch on.

Bob

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 19:13:14 »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 04:53:15 »
Here is a restored 230SL glove box.

Richard M, NYC

Download Attachment: GloveBox.jpg
32.74 KB
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).