Author Topic: Wood kit - opinions?  (Read 4211 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Wood kit - opinions?
« on: May 18, 2008, 17:21:10 »
I'm looking on-line at wood kits for my 250 SL and see a variety of options.   "Burl Wood", "Polysand", "Original MB OEM", ...    I'm wondering what is correct for my car.  The existing wood is light burlwood -- it looks lighter than the pictures of the "Burl Wood" on-line, but maybe it's just faded over the years..?  

On a related note, I see lots of hardtops that have wood on the interior around the back window.  My hardtop doesn't have this.  Is that wrong, or was it optional, or year-dependent?

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Paddy_Crow

Re: Wood kit - opinions?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 19:34:07 »
I looked at all of the kits for sale on eBay and others. I finally decided to pay a little more and buy from Heritage Woodworks (Drew Tibcken) because I wanted to stick with the original French walnut and I didn't want the high gloss finish. I probably could have saved $150 or so by going eBay, but I doubt I would have been as happy. He shipped immediately, I had it in two days.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:53:23 »
The wood on the rear window was standard on all hard tops and matched the rest of the wood in the car.
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

blue230sl

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:33:47 »
my hardtop is also missing the wood trim, abd i haven't been able to find a supplier. any suggestions?

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 10:57:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by hands_aus

The wood on the rear window was standard on all hard tops and matched the rest of the wood in the car.

Miller's has it.  I don't know who their supplier is but their price for other wood kits is high.

Go to
http://millermbz.com/

click on the 113 pagoda parts page and search for "wood"

Scott
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 10:59:55 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Mike

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 15:53:24 »
I bought one of these from Ray Paul at Bud's
and it is really nice.  Actually it is nicer than the original.  It is solid wood (as opposed to laminate on the original).  I recall the price being something in the neighborhood of US $125 or so.