Author Topic: Dash Wood Threaded Posts & Plastic Nuts  (Read 4283 times)

bpossel

Dash Wood Threaded Posts & Plastic Nuts
« on: May 18, 2008, 03:41:53 »
With the recent "wanted" post on plastic nuts, it got me to think'n...[:0]

:?: Two questions:
1.  Why are the threaded posts on the wood bows so long?  If they were shorter, the wood bows would slip nicely over the dash (especially the left side over the tach/speedo hump) without potential damage to the dash.

2.  Why did MB use plastic nuts for these posts?  Maybe to avoid possible moisture damage (rust) that would cause difficulty for future removal?  If that were the case, they could have used chrome, stainless instead?

Comments?
Bob  :)

Paddy_Crow

Re: Dash Wood Threaded Posts & Plastic Nuts
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:33:52 »
One possibility is the plastic nuts are less likely to vibrate off. Metal threads rely on clamping load to keep them from loosening. Which is another factor. The studs are not that firmly mounted in the wood, a metal nut could pull them out if firmly tightened.

john.mancini

• Gold
  • USA: Nokomis, FL and Chatham, MA
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 06:56:29 »
Hi Bob,
I once took the wood trim out of a 280SL while I replaced a windshield. I wanted to clean the wood and put a nice coat of tung oil on the wood, which gives it a factory-type sheen. Those blue plastic nuts were used because metal nuts, if tightened too much, would pull the studs out of the wood. The plastic nuts will hold (even with good finger tightening)and are not likely to pull out the studs if overtightened.
John
John
68 280SL 906 Blue 4-sp
69 280SL 906 Blue
70 280SL 904 Blue
70 280SL 571 Red
70 280SL 040 Black 4-sp
66 230SL 162 Blue/Grey 
68 280SL 568 Red 4-sp
69 280SL 304 Horizon Blue
65 230SL 519 Red 4-sp
83 911SC
98 911 cab
56 Ford F100
08 RS60
62 Corvette Fuelie
66 GT350H
67 GT350
70 LT1 conv

Longtooth

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 22:59:33 »
Plastic's a lot cheaper than ss (& a lot cheaper than chromed steel) in size/shape that fingers can easily deal with in tight spaces.  The plastic knobs will still pull the metal studs out of the wood if over-tightened.

The length of the metal studs is required, imo, so that there's sufficient stud protruding thru to find the them by feel and still get fingers around the knobs while tightening/loosening them.. .therefore knob design is such that the larger OD (where fingers grasp the knob) is offset from base (where the compression force is applied to the body panel).

From engineering point of view another reason for stud length is that using plastic knobs the plastic threads require more threads engaged (than metal threads) for sufficient friction and load to secure wood & prevent them backing off (with repeated heating/cooling, vibration of the studs).

From my recollection in removing/re-installing my wood twice now (or maybe three times?), the instruments (& glove box, radio) are out when I'm removing or reinstalling the wood.  I can't recall though if my side-fresh air vents are also out when I removed/re-installed the wood.  I have to remove my instruments again to have glass cleaned and replace either the speedo or tach cable (I forget which is making noise --- I rigged one of them the last time I had them out)... and should have replace it at the time, along with getting my instrument glass cleaned (on the inside). Whenever I remove the instruments I check whether I should attend to the wood finish... and also check the plastic knobs "tightness".  Thus far, the plastic knobs have never been "loose" whenever I've had the instruments out.