Author Topic: Why do my seat release levers not match?  (Read 4389 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Why do my seat release levers not match?
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:58:20 »
We just bought a 67 250 SL and are having lots of fun sorting out the drains, filters, etc.  One cosmetic item that I don't understand is the seat back release levers.  They don't match.  The driver's side actually hits the carpet when you release the seat back and tilt it forward.  I suspect that someone rebuilt the seats and put the wrong part in -- any ideas?  Pictures attached (sorry about the large image size).  thanks, Scott.

Download Attachment: driver_seat_lever.jpg
200.51 KB

Download Attachment: passenger_seat_lever.jpg
244.17 KB
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:58:46 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Why do my seat release levers not match?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 14:47:15 »
Your passenger side lever is correct.  The driver's side lever has been bent by a previous owner.  You may be able to carefully return it to the upright and stored position!  (But be careful, it may snap if you are not gentle and take it in stages.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 14:47:37 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

CraigS

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 14:54:48 »
WOW ! That is bent ! I think these are chrome plated brass. If so, I would have it heated with a gas torch, straigntened, and re-chromed - but check the price of a new one before proceeding. It might be less than straightening your existing one.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 15:18:57 »
The thing that makes me think that it's not bent (that instead it is the wrong part) is that the bend is perfectly shaped and the chrome isn't destroyed.  I would think that if someone bent the thing that it would mess up the chrome...    I'll check into a replacement part as I don't think unbending it is going to work...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 16:44:55 »
I'm almost certain that it's bent. Unless it's from a non-MB, it does not match any other MB of the era with folding seat-backs. My 111 coupe has completely different levers (long and curved). The 108 and 111 sedan seat-back don't fold down, and hence are missing this lever.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 17:21:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by waqas

I'm almost certain that it's bent. Unless it's from a non-MB, it does not match any other MB of the era with folding seat-backs. My 111 coupe has completely different levers (long and curved). The 108 and 111 sedan seat-back don't fold down, and hence are missing this lever.

Thanks.  I'll start looking for a replacement part.  Any thoughts as to how easy this is to install?   Thanks!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

CraigS

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 07:07:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by scoot
  Any thoughts as to how easy this is to install?   Thanks!

It will be a seat out job, but shouldn't be too difficult.