Author Topic: SOFT TOP REPAIR  (Read 3995 times)

RedSignal

SOFT TOP REPAIR
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:22:38 »
Hi everybody,

I am new on this forum and also new in owning a 280SL.

I have bougth the car but it seems that have past long time since it was running for the last time.

I am tring to put the soft top into it's correct position, but each part(rigth and left sides) of the soft top does not goes the same way. It is like one of them could fold more.

It only happens when I try to set the soft top to cover the car. One goes higer than the other and I have to force one of the to be able to lock them with the latches.

When I retire the soft top in folds by it self propperly and goes into the soft top hood without any problem.

Another problem I have is that I can't aproximate the back part of the soft to to lock were the soft top hood is.

Can anybody give me some help about this?

Regards.

jeffc280sl

Re: SOFT TOP REPAIR
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 11:27:22 »
Welcome to the group!

An answer to your first question may involve lubrication of a cam type hinge noted on the enclosed drawing.  A cam type hi8nge is located on both sides.  If it is the problem you can mark the location of the mounting plate inside the storage area and remove the two bolts with a 13mm socket wrench.  You can then lift that side of the soft top up for access to the hinge.  You can try to lubricate it as is or take it apart for cleaning etc.  Remember you have the other side as a guide to use when putting it back together.

There are four areas that I know of for adjusting the top.  Two of them are discussed above.  You have about 1/2" of movement available front to back on each side.  Movement here will affect how the front pins contact the windshield so be mindful of these connections when adjustmenting.  The rear hoop has two additional adjustemnt locations.  They are on the inside of the hoop near the hinge and are shown on the drawing attached.  If the rear latch favors one side of the hole over the other you can adjust these locations to bring the rear pin in center alignment with the hole.

Good luck!

Download Attachment: softtop.jpg
30.36 KB

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: SOFT TOP REPAIR
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:59:31 »
RedSignal,

Hello and welcome to the Group.  See if there is any helpful information here:
http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Tops.Start
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL