Author Topic: Interior Kit from Gahh?  (Read 4693 times)

bpossel

Interior Kit from Gahh?
« on: May 13, 2008, 18:28:38 »
Has anyone else purchased an interior kit from Gahh?

My question is in regards to the door arm rest.  Gahh kit included a pre-sewn skin to be installed over the exisiting door arm rest.  My interior folks would rather spray dye to match.  They dont want to or they dont know how to complete the skin install on the arm rest.

Has anyone else completed this skin install on their armrest?

Thanks in advance!
Bob  :)

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
Re: Interior Kit from Gahh?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 21:25:29 »
I have just finished doing my interior with a GAHH kit.  I did this work myself, took two months, but I was not in a hurry (my winter project).  Did it all from seats completely renewed, to door panels, kick panels, quarter panels, soft top deck, and dashboard. Best Kit on the market, and they stand by their products.

Now, as for your arm rest.  Do you have the "hard map pocket" arm rest, or the soft elestic map pockets?  I have the hard pockets with arm rest setting on them.  The new leather comes cut and pre-sewn to fit the arm rest, and cut to fit the hard map pockets inside and out.

You have to take off the door panels, then remove the two bolts that hold the armrest/map pockets to the door panels.  Then you have two screws that hold the arm rest to the panel and two screws that hold the arm rest to the map pockets.

After the bolts are free, you have to slip the map pocket bottom bracket out of the bottom holding slots (4 slots cut in the panel).  Then you can detach the arm rest.  Once you have the arm rest detatched from the map packet, you just peel off the old leather arm rest cover and replace with the new cover (assuming your arm rest cushions are good).

You must glue the leather to the back of arm rest and punch two holes thru the leather for the screws to attach arm rest to map pocket.  You will not have to punch the back holes to attach to panel because the leather will not cover them in the back where you have glued it.

I think that you interior folks just want to do it the easy way.  I would make them do it complete, not "half way".  I would find another upholstery company.  These cars are Benz, not Fords.  Yes, it is a lot of work to install the new leathers, but it is well worth it.

Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

1970 280SL, Red on Silver,4-speed, Euro spec; 1999 C230 Kompresser Sport, Black on Black; 1990 Miata, Black on Red, 5 Speed
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:30:33 by 280SL71 »
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:59:11 »
Bob,

You've seen my interior, it is entirely GAHH and was changed from Bamboo to Black.  No dye.

I remember that the restorer had to send some pieces to GAHH for them to work on.  Check with GAHH if the door handle is one of them or if they'll do it for you.  Everything they did for me was flawless.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:13:21 »
I purchased a new interior for my 300 d 78

all new seat covers, carpet, head liner etc

it all fit well and looks great.

BTW.  GAHH is who Mercedes austin uses for interior stuff.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230