Author Topic: seat backrest adjustment knobs  (Read 12116 times)

benzportland

seat backrest adjustment knobs
« on: May 05, 2008, 23:12:24 »
The plot thickens, including my skull apparently!  I just checked again and the knobs are there, but they are on the inner sides of each seat, one of them is right up against the wood console box in fact.  Would this ever be an original design or option (perhaps the original intended occupier of the passenger seat was left-handed?) or would this be an example of repair work under the influence of intoxicants?  One thing is the knobs do appear to be period correct and in good condition.  

I am sorting out some things on my 65 230sl and just noticed that the seats have no backrest adjustment / recline knobs at all.  The plate they would be attached too does not have a hole or anything either.  This is a euro version if that makes a difference.  Would this be original, or did they all have the adjustment knobs originally?  Thoughts appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 19:10:13 by benzportland »

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
Re: seat backrest adjustment knobs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 00:14:24 »
Hi there

I am just going through a similar dilemma. Yes, your 230SL should have the early style seat knobs (NLA!). I have been scouring through countless leads to try and get a good used set (as mine are beyond repair). No luck yet in getting a set (although I do have the correct cap covers (new).

I have also bought a set of later style knobs and will see if I can either:
a) modify them to work on my existing seat adjustment shaft or
b) get the later style shaft and see whether it can work together with the later style knobs on my seat.

Will let you know how I go !

Rgds
Frank
1965 230SL Black/RHD/Auto
1996 W210 E36 AMG
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 00:15:26 by franjo_66 »
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

Bob G MN

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, MN, Stillwater
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:05:30 »
I have a '65 230 SL euro version and it definitely has the ajustment knobs.

Bob

benzportland

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 18:58:28 »
Hi Bob - could you tell me how they are affixed/mounted to the seat hardware?  I've had trouble finding a diagram or picture.  

quote:
Originally posted by Bob G MN

I have a '65 230 SL euro version and it definitely has the ajustment knobs.

Bob

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 21:24:01 »
I have pictures here of the early style seat mechanism, late style seat mechanism and the seat knobs (early & late). The early style seats have a square end on the knobs, and the shaft is attached by a split pin. On the later style, the shaft is serrated and fits into a different housing on the knob. Also, the early style seats use a type of fishing line material attached to the shaft to recline the seat. Not sure if the late style seats still use this set-up ? Hope the pictures help to show the differences.

Rgds
Frank
1996 W210 E36 AMG

Download Attachment: Seat_mechanism_late_style.jpg
68 KB

Download Attachment: Seat knobs.jpg
84.58 KB

Download Attachment: early 230 SL seat mechanism.JPG
21.31 KB
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 21:50:39 by franjo_66 »
Franjo

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

tuultyme

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:04:28 »
The adjustment knobs should be on the outboard side of the seat.

Bruce; 268Blaugrun(green) 1970 280SL; IL

Bob G MN

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, MN, Stillwater
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:29:42 »
I have the feeling that somewhere along the line the seats were swiched.  Probably due to more wear on the drivers side so the easy thing was to switch.  If this is the case This is easy to correct as you need to switch to the correct side.

Bob

benzportland

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 15:43:04 »
I was wondering that too, but then noticed that the seat tilt levers are actually on the starboard side.  So the levers on one side, the wheels on the other.  Now I am really scratching my head....

Now I checked again, and the left/right seats appear to be in the correct position.  The seat rounds out to the starboard sides, and are more straight along the channel.  I am just wondering now about the easiest way to get things back to where they should be.....

quote:

I have the feeling that somewhere along the line the seats were swiched.  Probably due to more wear on the drivers side so the easy thing was to switch.  If this is the case This is easy to correct as you need to switch to the correct side.

Bob

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 22:47:26 by benzportland »

Bob G MN

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, MN, Stillwater
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:15:27 »
The seat tilt lever for the drivers side is on the port side and for the passenger seat it is on the starboard side.  I.E. the levers should be on the same side as the knobs and should also be nearest the doors.  
Check and see if the seat adjustment levers (the ones underneath the seats that move them back and forth) are both on the center council side of the seat where they should be. The seats do round out on the door  sides.  What may have hapened is someone replaces a seat at one time and used the same side seat for both.

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 14:18:44 »
I agree with Bob G.  I think your seats were switched, or at least the frames.  The frames are identical, both bottoms and backs except for the holes/slots for the tilt rods attached to the knobs in back frames and the sliding track attachment holes for bolts along the seat bottoms.

Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

1970 280SL, Red on Silver,4-speed, Euro spec; 1999 C230 Kompresser Sport, Black on Black; 1990 Miata, Black on Red, 5 Speed
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

benzportland

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 19:10:33 »
Thanks for the insights Bob and Robert - the seat adjustment/slider levers are indeed on the side closest to the center for each seat, so that seems correct.  One thing I noticed is that when I turn the roller / knobs, the seatbacks do not move at all.  I am wondering why this happened of course, and wondering about returning the knobs to the correct side.  The only thing I can imagine is that the outer covers which are now on the sides closest to center appear somewhat worn, so maybe the po switched them for cosmetic reasons?

quote:

The seat tilt lever for the drivers side is on the port side and for the passenger seat it is on the starboard side.  I.E. the levers should be on the same side as the knobs and should also be nearest the doors.  
Check and see if the seat adjustment levers (the ones underneath the seats that move them back and forth) are both on the center council side of the seat where they should be. The seats do round out on the door  sides.  What may have hapened is someone replaces a seat at one time and used the same side seat for both.

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 15:01:01 »
Another idea.  Seat backs were reversed so that the knobs are to the center.  Both seatbacks could fit either bottom.  Now comes the question of why the tilting adjustments do not work.  Could be that they are not properly assembled with the "teeth" of the rods set in the spring controlled teeth of the "L" bracket that holds each seat back to the seat bottoms.  Or the "L" bracket "teeth" and not hooked with spring and are just dangling.  You might have to take the seats apart to check this, or at least look inside the chrome covers with flashlight.  Also you should take your backs (carpet covered) off the seat back to see if the adjustment rod is assembled correctly.
Bob

Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

1970 280SL, Red on Silver,4-speed, Euro spec; 1999 C230 Kompresser Sport, Black on Black; 1990 Miata, Black on Red, 5 Speed
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Bob G MN

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, MN, Stillwater
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 15:29:41 »
Robert  is probably right on this.  I took a look at mine and definitely the bottom of your seats are installed properly.  Before you pull things apart look at the crome beauty cover under the knob to see if there is a slightly cresent shaped opening  in it and also in the steel bracket under the chrome.  I suspect the steel bracket may not have the cresent opening.  If not take the chrome beauty cover off the other side of the seat and see if that steel bracket has a cresent opening.  The upholstery also should have  a slit  in it to allow the knob to move up and down with seat adjustment. I suspect your seats were reupholstered at some time and put on the opposite sides. Then follow Robert's suggestions. If you find the steel bracket with the cresent opening is on the door sides the brackets are correct and your seats were probably placed on the wrong side.  To confirm this you need to look inside the seat to make sure which side the l bracket teeth are on.  They need to be on the same side as the knob.
You probably will need to remove the seats to work on this.  Not too hard to do but be sure not to loose the clips that hold the bolt to the  floor bracket. If you do there is not enough space beneath one of the  floor brackets to  hold the bolt in place when you replace the  seat.

Bob

benzportland

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 13:01:33 »
Thanks so much Bob and Robert!  Looks like I will have a good rainy weekend project coming up.