Author Topic: 230 sl (lights and hood question)  (Read 3903 times)

Surfer65sl

230 sl (lights and hood question)
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:23:14 »
Hi, I am new to the group.  I bought a beautiful european 4 speed 65 sl and it has run perfectly up until now. My right blinker is  shorting out and blows out the fuel and light guage plus my light toggle switch is loose and I can no longer turn on my lights it seems like it has to be re-attached.  

Lastly, how expensive would it be to replace the hood catch system and cable my hood is not catching well due to an okay paint job.  Thanks for any advice.

Matthew A Snyder

al_lieffring

Re: 230 sl (lights and hood question)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 19:50:23 »
Originally posted by Surfer65sl

Hi, I am new to the group.  I bought a beautiful european 4 speed 65 sl and it has run perfectly up until now. My right blinker is  shorting out and blows out the fuel and light gauge

It sounds like you have a pinched wire behind the headlight assembly

plus my light toggle switch is loose and I can no longer turn on my lights it seems like it has to be re-attached.

the plastic handle on the headlight switch can be removed by pulling it (firmly) srtaight out, then the chrome bezel can be retightened by turning it from the front, make sure the switch is aligned with the knob straight up when the switch is off, then reinstall the plastic knob by pushing it back into place.

Lastly, how expensive would it be to replace the hood catch system and cable. My hood is not catching well due to an okay paint job.  Thanks for any advice.

Does the hood release work smoothly and return by its self when the hood is open? If so the first thing to try would be to re-adjust the latch plate on the back of the hood. Put a piece of tape over the hole in the latch plate, put a dab of axle grease on the tip of the latch mechanism. Close the hood to where it just touches. The grease spot that it leaves should be in the center of the hole. Adjust and repeat the test until the latch is centered.

A new replacement latch is made of different materials than the original. An old latch from a 108 or 114 is interchangeable if you want to maintain the look of the original part.

Welcome to the group, hope this helps.
Al

I'm riding 50Km. on my Unicycle 18 May, 2008 in the Tour de Cure.
http://main.diabetes.org/goto/al.lieffring
Please help if you can by sponsoring my ride.
Al Lieffring
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 03:43:38 by 280SL71 »

Surfer65sl

Re: 230 sl (lights and hood question)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:22:04 »
Al,

Thank you very, very much.  The metal rod lifts completley out of the hood mechanism.  The hood never closed perfectly, it always took a few tries and apparently the paint job was not great or the hood needs to be aligned better because it catches near the grill on the front of car....The cable actually splintered and snapped so I will replace the hood release cable and I will use your advice and mention that the wire is being pinched..on the right blinker.

It doesnt sound like these are very serious issues.

Matthew A Snyder