Author Topic: Rear frame rail replacement  (Read 4916 times)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Rear frame rail replacement
« on: May 02, 2008, 17:41:38 »
I think I need to replace part of my rear wheel-well frame rail. This is part number 37 shown here:

http://www.sls-hh-catalogue.de/bin/explode.phtml?lan=1&mid=IN02&tid=IN020330

Following Tim Kidder's lead from his presentation at PUB 2007, I picked away in this area. The part I can see damaged is the lower half of it, where is connects to the rocker frame rail. (the rockers seem to be solid)
  • Has anyone ever replaced this?
  • I assume I'll need to remove the rear axle, but what else is required?
  • Do any major panels need to be removed?

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Rear frame rail replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 19:11:28 »
Hi Waqas,
sorry I cannot provide any answers but if you do the job you might be interested in this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-230sl-280sl-frame-rail-sections-113-Pagoda_W0QQitemZ350056078966QQihZ022QQcategoryZ34204QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[The usual applies, I am not he seller]

Alfred
1966 blue 230SL automatic
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 19:31:22 »
Alfred, thanks for the link. K&K has it listed for $221 each, which is about the same, but with the added guarantee against defects (something few if any ebay sellers can match) and the usual great service.

Also, it looks like I may only need one side, if at all. Still investigating...

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

mkbull

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 23:47:43 »
Hi Waqas
I have done both sides recently.
However I replaced the rocker panels and all floors at the same time.
I would recommend that you do not use the whole repair section.
My car had severe rust _ (I am sure if I send you a picture you will feel much happier about yours) but still this section was only corroded at its lower section towards the rocker.
What I did was mark up exactly which area I needed to cut out to eradicate all rust + a bit, then cut the repair panel down to suit this repair. I cut off the top part of the repair frame approx 6inches.This means far less surgery.
It was then fully seam welded into place after very careful alignment.
I must add I was using a full body jig and had the inside of the car completeley braced up. The problem is that this frame is at an intersection of 7 main body sections all of which contribute to the structure. If you are not replacing the rocker at the same time you will probably need to cut off the bottom and top of the repair panel and only use a mid section.
I am happy to send you much greater detail and pictures of before and after if you wish.

Regards
Mark