Author Topic: OEM Wheel covers for a Pagoda  (Read 8810 times)

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
OEM Wheel covers for a Pagoda
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:24:15 »
Hi All,

In looking for a replacement for a damaged wheel cover on my 1970 280 SL I came across what are described as stainless OE wheel covers in the Adsit catalog (on page 16) they look like the correct item but not sure if they are the originals. (I've attached a jpg of the listing from the catalog on their website)

I called and asked and the person I spoke to at Adsit if they would fit my 1970 SL since there is little info in the catalog description other then the illustration and was told yes they will fit if I have standard steel wheels.

Has anyone purchased these from Adsit? does this sound correct? I don't think they give refunds so I'm a little cautious about this one.

Any comments appreciated!

Download Attachment: Adsit wheel cover.JPG
27.66 KB

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Cognac
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:21:11 by Mark280SL »
Mark

hauser

Re: OEM Wheel covers for a Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:13:02 »
I purchased a set from them and had no problems. So far my only gripe is a set of Euro lights I purchased from them where the lenses have fatigue markings from tired molds.

1969 Euro 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 14:53:57 »
Mark,

I had a wheel cover debacle 2 years ago.  Wheel covers were listed at Miller's at an attractive price; they were not noted as reproduction.  I got a set and they looked, well, OK.

Then, my friend from this site, Tom Rose and I decided to collaborate on painting them: I had them all painted here as I had found a reasonable and experienced painter familar with high end cars and paint.  Tom and I both share 568 Signal Red.

So, Tom sends me his and WOW.  I could not believe my eyes.  His new wheel covers were Mercedes OEM, stainless, but there was NO COMPARING the two side by side.

• The OEM's were heavier gauge stainless steel.
  • They might have been a higher grade of stainless (more nickel and chromium) in them as the reproductions were not able to be polished easily.
  • The OEM's had such a high polish, they were almost chrome-like.  They looked like they should have come with velvet bags.
The reproductions from Millers at the time were about $70 or so, the OEM's about $120.  Miller's took the reproductions back and upcharged me for the OEM's.

There is a difference, a very noticable difference as you can see here.  Whether it is worth it to you to pay the extra money for OEM's is up to you.  I would find it highly unusual if the Adsit and Miller's came from different vendors, but who knows?

If you are only replacing one of your covers, take a good luck at what you have.  Any new cover--repro or OEM--might stand out.  Maybe a good used cover might be what you really need?

Guess which is the OEM and which is the reproduction?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 14:57:46 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 15:50:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

Guess which is the OEM and which is the reproduction?

ok i give up! which one?  :D

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

hauser

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 16:12:03 »
My Adsit set looks like the one on the right.

1969 Euro 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 16:26:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

My Adsit set looks like the one on the right.

1969 Euro 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

...and you pass Pagoda 101!  Yes, that would be a reproduction on the right.  Mirrors and shiny chrome are difficult at best to photograph but check out the difference between the quality of the reflection.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 17:18:34 »
I purchased my Adsit parts over two years ago and had only looked at them once when they first arrived.  After reading the latest post I decided to go have a look at them and they are in fact OEM and have a very shinny.  They also have an MB part number sticker on them.  After taking a look I must say they look like the pic on the left after all.

1969 Euro 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 18:32:48 »
Thank you Gentlemen.

Great info as usual Michael.

I've decided to be trusting since Adsit says OE in their catalog listing and OE ought to mean "Original Equipment/parts" to any fair minded person....(you would think they would say repros instead of OE if they were indeed repro's right?) Adsit seems like a reputable vendor.

...and since Hauser says they are original...I just bought a pair!

I'll report on the results of what they send me. If they are indeed originals they are a great buy, if not one side of my car may just  have nicer looking wheel covers till I sell the repro's on ebay!

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Cognac
Mark

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 18:36:27 »
Mark, Hauser--

Yes, aside from the most obvious look and finish difference--the hologram sticker on the back (provided that has not been duplicated like some unscrupulous far eastern vendors do on other products) is the hallmark of originality.  If that sticker has been duplicated, than you have counterfeits, not reproductions.  I certainly hope that our well-known vendors are selling OEM and repro parts, and not counterfeits.

If you think mirrors and chrome are hard to photograph, try a hologram label on shiny mylar; every angle you look at it and the angle at which any light source hits it provides a totally different image.  This highly retouched image shows what every area of the label looks like, however.  I think MB, at least MB-USA started putting these on about 2 years ago or more.  True NOS wouldn't have it of course, and it would not surprise me to find something like a wheel cover available as true NOS.

You are seeing this type of label on parts themselves (as shown here; this is the back side of my wheel cover) and you are also seeing similar labels used as "seals" on packaged goods such as oil filters etc.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:22:42 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 17:44:34 »
I should get my "OE" wheel covers from Adsit shortly and I'll send photos and we shall see the results. I'm wondering if it is indeed NOS and they never marked up the price on it?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 18:42:56 by Mark280SL »
Mark

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 22:09:02 »
Michael
Do you know (remember) what kind of primer your painter used on the wheel covers?

Seems adhesion on such a polished surface would be a problem.

Gus

1968 280sl, signal red
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 20:32:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by 69280sl

Michael
Do you know (remember) what kind of primer your painter used on the wheel covers?

Gus

1968 280sl, signal red

Great question--no answer.  The reason is simple--the firm that did them is owned by a man who has quite a collection of vintage cars of many kinds.  Most of the BMW, Benz, Porsche and other high end dealers in the area have no body shops and send the work there.

So, I kind of figured they knew what they were doing...all I did was give them the paint number.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 21:59:30 »
quote:

Gus

1968 280sl, signal red

Let me try that again!

There are several adhesion promoters on the market. These allow paint to stick to difficult surfaces. One I have used in the past with good results is called "Bulldog". It seemed to produce a slight orange peel on a very smooth painted surface though. Call a good local auto body paint supplier and they can give you a recommendation.

Good luck!

Wallace Wheeler
Texas
'68 280 SE 111
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 08:31:09 »
If you are going to paint a polished surface and never need it to be a high shine metal surface again why would sanding it with a fine grit paper prior to the primer coat to aid adhesion be a problem?

After all the metal section in question would forever more be covered with a protective coating(s). It would be a bit tedious to sand it I suppose...I'm no paint and finish expert so somebody may know more but I can't see why that would be a problem?

quote:

Michael

Gus

1968 280sl, signal red

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:39:06 by Mark280SL »
Mark

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 12:24:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark280SL

I should get my "OE" wheel covers from Adsit shortly and I'll send photos and we shall see the results. I'm wondering if it is indeed NOS and they never marked up the price on it?

Mark--

Surely you have these by now--17 days later...what do they look like?  Did Adsit sell you what they advertised?  Are they OEM's?
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 13:14:46 »
Opps yes sorry!  :?  I have been meaning to take photos but have not had a chance, I'm off today so here you go.

Yes they are indeed OEM as far as I can see, they have a very brilliant shine and finish, not that dull finish on some of the known repro's, they appear to be of good quality and they came nicely wrapped in what appears to be original MB packaging with a MB blue/white label, bar code etc... identical type label I've gotten when purchasing many other original MB parts from various other vendors we know and love like K&K, Millers and other reputable vendors. They DO NOT however have the hologram label on the back of the wheel cover though, no labels on the backside at all but I believe that may be because they are actual "new old stock" that may predate the holographic labels? ...my theory at least... I ended up replacing all 4 of mine because I liked them so much. I'm no expert but I personally would doubt Adsit would sell fakes with MB labels and if they aren't the real thing they look dam good in my book. Don't know if the photos do them justice but here they are.

Download Attachment: WC 1.jpg
31.39 KB

Download Attachment: wc 2.jpg
82.97 KB

Quote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark--

Surely you have these by now--17 days later...what do they look like? Did Adsit sell you what they advertised? Are they OEM's?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL

« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 13:41:40 by Mark280SL »
Mark

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 14:32:54 »
Mark, even from the photos, I'd agree.  They look genuine.  Good deal for you!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid