Author Topic: Black Paint ?  (Read 4285 times)

bpossel

Black Paint ?
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:04:49 »
Does anyone have any pictures that would show the correct detail of how to apply the black paint that was brushed on the front part of our 113's?

I took these pictures before they removed the paint on my car.  The arrows outline the black paint that was on my car (not sure if accurate).  How far up the inner side walls should the black paint go?  Do you paint the bottom parts of the hood hinge brackets?  Since the front plate on the left side slopes down, if you dont paint the bottom area of the hinge bracket with black paint, that you not see "all black" when you look straight on at the car's front grill.  (Note: As I reviewed restored cars like Ed Cave's, etc...  it really doesnt show the full details for both sides....)

Comments?

Left Side:

Right Side:

Thank You!
Bob :)

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:15:25 by bpossel »

bpossel

Re: Black Paint ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:14:52 »
Hi All!

I found some pictures on my PC that show the detail of the black painted areas.  Must have downloaded them a while back as I was collecting paint details.  Looks like the famous "Ed Cave" beauty and one other 113.  Wanted to share with you.
Bob  :)

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:19:21 by bpossel »

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 13:54:46 »
There's pretty good detail on the MotoringInvestments web site where they did the process photos of a restoration.  

Off Topic: It's interesting to see how the radiator support frame on the right side of so many cars has been cut.  I guess this was done by the dealer installing the air conditioning.  Some dealers cut a hole in the panel, like on mine, while others apparently cut half the panel away, as in Bob's photo.  The ones I have seen seem always to have been cut sloppily, some with a torch. I guess it was too much trouble to run the AC hose under the intake and around the panel like I did.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

hauser

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 21:23:47 »
Thhe vents at the base of the windshield also get this black paint treatment.

1969 Euro 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.