Author Topic: Soft top replacement  (Read 3662 times)

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
Soft top replacement
« on: April 25, 2008, 08:25:58 »
All,

I'm trying to decide if I should replace my soft top myself or take it to a shop (1970 280 SL). Can anyone who has done it on their own comment? I'm good at what I do with repairs and have the tools but don't want to take this on if it is simply best left to a pro who has experience with these cars.

I'm also trying to identify a good place to take it in the NJ-eastern PA vicinity if I decide not to do it myself so if anyone can recommend a good shop in that geography it would be appreciated.

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Cognac
Mark

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Soft top replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:03:14 »
Mark,

I've done this. I've also documented it to bits with over a million photos. I've written the article about removing the old top and cleaning up the frame. I have all the photos on replacing the new one and lots of top tips. I just haven't got around to writing it all yet.

The long and short of it is that the job is not hard. It is tricky if doing it on your own, but it's easily doable. I could get my finish near excellent by tweaking it a bit more. I am happy with the job I did. It looks as good as most, although someone here has just had a new top put on that looks amazing. It was done by a pro.

I just looked at the prices I was being quoted and felt I could use the money elsewhere. So I did.

If you want to do this, let me know and I can send you a disc of photos. I will,however, be away from my computer for another month.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
Re: Soft top replacement
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:33:33 »
Thanks James that would be great, I've read the info in the technical manual  but more info and pics can only help! I'll send you my info in an email.

quote:
Originally posted by jameshoward

Mark,

I've done this. I've also documented it to bits with over a million photos. I've written the article about removing the old top and cleaning up the frame. I have all the photos on replacing the new one and lots of top tips. I just haven't got around to writing it all yet.

The long and short of it is that the job is not hard. It is tricky if doing it on your own, but it's easily doable. I could get my finish near excellent by tweaking it a bit more. I am happy with the job I did. It looks as good as most, although someone here has just had a new top put on that looks amazing. It was done by a pro.

I just looked at the prices I was being quoted and felt I could use the money elsewhere. So I did.

If you want to do this, let me know and I can send you a disc of photos. I will,however, be away from my computer for another month.

JH

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Cognac
Mark