Author Topic: Newbie question - how to take off roof  (Read 6496 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Newbie question - how to take off roof
« on: April 23, 2008, 10:35:11 »
I realize that this is an incredibly lame question, but I have to ask anyway.  There is a 250 SL sitting in my garage while my partner and I decide if we are buying it.  We are taking things out, looking for rust, etc.   So far it is looking pretty good.

One area that we haven't looked is in the soft top compartment.  So I'm figuring we should do that.  So we need to take the roof off, which looks like I just more the handles in the back and on the front and I assume it lifts off -- is that correct?  I was confused because I saw for sale a set of "top removal handles with a case" and thought that maybe I was missing something that goes in a case that I need for taking the top off.   Any comments on how to take the top off.  

Unfortunately I have no documentation or owner's manual and I want to make a decision on the purchase this week...

thanks
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Newbie question - how to take off roof
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 10:44:50 »
Scoot,

No question is lame.  That's how you learn.  Welcome here to this group

There are a few things to do to remove the hard top.

Loosen the two latches on the top of the windshield; you'll need the handles to do this.  If they are not in the latches, look in the glove box.  Insert, and twist.

Loosen the two latches at the rear of the hard top.

Check to make sure there are no wires attached; there may be a rear window defogger.

When all the latches are removed, it takes two people to lift it up--over and away from the car.  Make sure you have a place to put it.  Be very careful as the trunk deck and the soft top boot cover are aluminum and dent easily.

Then, there's another latch on the wall behind the driver; it will release the soft top cover and then you can see what if anything is there!

Soft top up and down?  That's a new topic...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:05:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

Scoot,

Loosen the two latches on the top of the windshield; you'll need the handles to do this.  If they are not in the latches, look in the glove box.  Insert, and twist.

Soft top up and down?  That's a new topic...

Michael Salemi

Thanks Michael - I believe the handles are in the latches.  I'm concerned about the soft top up and down -- I take it this is an issue, raising and lowering the top?

thanks again
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:49:44 »
Hey Scott, just for clarification, some of the earler cars have the front latches permanently attached, later ones had removable ones. Not sure where the 250SL fits in this.

In any event, the two rear latches are turned inward and the front latches unlocked -- then you and a helper (preferably a linebacker) carefully lift the top up and off -- sacheting (if thats the word -- I have three daughters!) to the rear and away from the car. The tops are on the heavy side but its more the awkwardness that makes top removal scary. My wife and I have managed many times (she's 5-7 115) but strong as a ... well, I digress...

Soft top goes up like this:

Pop the case open and grab the frame, and come on up. As it starts to come out use your right hand to bring whole thing out. The front section will start to accordian forward.

With left hand lead that part toward the front windshield. The rear should come up folded tight and be at a 90 to the car.

Close and lock the soft-top case. You then push to spread the back section down.

Again depending on model, you attach the front latches and the rear center latch. 230s do back first then fronts. 280s do the fronts, then the back. With 250s? -- not sure. hope this helps.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:19:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by J. Huber

Not sure where the 250SL fits in this.

230s do back first then fronts. 280s do the fronts, then the back. With 250s? -- not sure. hope this helps.

My early 250 SL, top handles are fixed.

I lock the front first then back.  Why the difference?  I remember on my mom's 1971 280 SL, front first, then slam the back.

John
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 12:20:14 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 12:40:41 »
Nomenclature: a house has a "roof";  these cars have a "hardtop".

Richard M, NYC

1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 13:03:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by 280SL71

Nomenclature: a house has a "roof";  these cars have a "hardtop".

Richard M, NYC

I believe in England they call a hardtop a roof, the trunk a boot and the hood a bonnet.

John
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 13:03:27 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 15:36:12 »
When putting the top DOWN do be careful to remember to first release the lever behind the driver's seat, which both releases the rear catch of the top frame and unlocks the soft top compartment.  Lift the rear of the top and push it forward 90º until it locks on the top frame.  Then raise the soft top compartment lid.  ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE DONE THESE THINGS should you unlatch the front levers and start folding the top into the compartment!  I can't begin to tell you how many Pagoda soft top compartment lids I've seen with two nice squared off dents in them from someone trying to fold the top down before raising the lid!

Also, get two nice big heavy-duty quart-size zip-lock bags to lay over the rubber soft top compartment seal adjacent to the hinge points of the top frame.  These will ease the cloth material on by the rubber seal, preventing damage to both the top material and the seal as you are folding the top down into the compartment.  Just keep the two zip-lock bags in the soft top compartment so they'll always be there when you need them.  Periodically make sure that there is no debris, sand, etc. inside the compartment. It should be spotlessly clean before stowing the top!  Vacuum it out, wipe it clean with a damp white towel so you can see the junk you are removing.  This is a place that you really want to pass the "white glove" test, especially before stowing the top when fitting the hard top for the season.

Finally, make sure the front levers are pointing OUTWARDS before closing the soft top lid.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 16:30:28 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 02:45:56 »
Have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMIStW3Qb9M

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 08:47:21 »
Good thinking, Naj!

I think that might be my favorite movie of all-time!

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL