Author Topic: Light alloy wheels  (Read 4310 times)

Anfinn

Light alloy wheels
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:58 »
My car has the alloy wheels, which I think look nice on the 280SL when they are in good condition.
Mine, however, are originally chrome plated. The chrome is now in a sorry state, flaking off and corrosion appearing all over.
Is there an easy way to remove the chrome, to prepare the wheels for spray painting?

Anfinn E
1970 280SL auto
Saab 9-5 Estate

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Light alloy wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 14:39:07 »
"Do not try this at home"

You probably need an acid etch to remove the chrome.  I'd contact a local chrome plater (if you have such a thing) and bring them the actual wheel.

Remember, all "show chrome" is actually "re-plated" which means they have to be able to remove the old chrome first.

Your issue might be the fact that the acid-etch might attack the aluminum more aggressively than the chrome!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

dseretakis

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 19:26:09 »
You might be better off buying another used set without chrome.  You could even strip and paint them yourself then.
Dimitri
71 280SL

psmith

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 15:02:30 »
I believe that chrome shops "de-chrome" the parts to repair them before they re-chrome them.  Here is some info from a shop in my area.

http://superiorchromeplating.com/process.asp

Make sure you find a place that does restoration and/or custom work.  Here in the states there are plenty of places that rechrome bumpers, but the quality of their work is not good.

Pete S.