Author Topic: Rear license frame question  (Read 4500 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Rear license frame question
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:25:24 »
I am wanting to change my rear license plate frame to something more "elegant", i.e. just a simple, thin chrome frame. My existing frame is too thick, not "elegant", and is actually comprised of 2 parts.
The problem is that the 2 mounting holes for the existing plate frame are located in the middle of the frame. The placement of these holes is not compatible with the 2 holes that are, I think, usually located at the top (and/or bottom) of the "elegant" frames advertised for US plates.
Here is a picture of the existing frame-mounting holes:

Download Attachment: FRAME MOUNTING HOLES.jpg
23.49 KB

Here is a picture of the base of the frame that mounts to the holes:

Download Attachment: FRAME BASE.jpg
32.32 KB

And here is a picture of the plate frame placed on the base:

Download Attachment: FRAME ON BASE.jpg
35.65 KB

Aside from biting my lip and drilling new holes, is there anything I can do to mount a simple frame and keep it flush with the rear panel?

Andy
Sarasota, FL
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Rear license frame question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 08:27:24 »
Andy,

You'll have to fabricate something that mounts to your existing holes, and brings a bracket up to hold a new elegant plate frame.

One idea is to use plate aluminum; countersunk holes and rubber or nylon bushings (you want it offset a bit from your car body).  Mount that to the car and ensure it fits securely.  Then, mount the new frame and license plate to your fabricated aluminum plate.

Sounds complex but isn't too bad; most places that sell metal in sheets/plates will cut to size for you.  Fasteners should be available at Loews, Home Depot, etc.

You don't want to drill more holes in your car body.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

glcg123

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Canada, MB, Winnipeg
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:53:09 »
I purchased a frame from Mercedes Benz. It fit perfectly with no drilling needed. It may be a bit more showy than what you are looking for.

George

1965 230SL 4 speed

Download Attachment: 100_1169.JPG
35.59 KB

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:41:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by glcg123

I purchased a frame from Mercedes Benz. It fit perfectly with no drilling needed. It may be a bit more showy than what you are looking for.

George

1965 230SL 4 speed

Download Attachment: 100_1169.JPG
35.59 KB

George, the issue is that as supplied from the factory there were no holes drilled for license plates.  Therefore, if you have a new tail panel (as I did) or when the car was new, where and how to drill and mount the plate were up to who was doing it.  The factory did not make that choice for obvious reasons: too many mounting options for too many plates in too many countries and states.

My restorer used a reasonably standard bracket that has two small holes to mount to the car, and "wings" that spread out to attach to the two standard holes found in many USA state plates.

From the look of AWOLFF's 280SL, the first person who mounted plates on this car chose something that would be a little less than standard in the USA, and Canada too.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 06:58:19 »
Michael,
So thanks to your advice that's what I did. I used aluminum "'wings' that spread out to attach to the two standard holes found in many USA state plates". Rubber & nylon bushings were used to keep any metal off of the car panel. Looks great.

Andy
Sarasota, FL
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

hauser

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:00:57 »
I placed some rubber spacers between the frame and the body so as not to mar the finish.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.