Author Topic: How many have switched to the later tailights for  (Read 5652 times)

Bob G

How many have switched to the later tailights for
« on: April 15, 2008, 06:11:30 »
I recently decided after almost being rear  ended that the later style tailights for the late 1969 to 1971 with the amber turn signals and replaceable lens was a safer way to drive with these cars. not that I am giving  up the orginal red tailights. I just feel prehaps it makes sence to make sure the driver behine you sees your turning.

Pretty scary when you think how many people drive multi tasking and talking with their cell phones these days.

Bob Geco

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
Re: How many have switched to the later tailights for
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 06:57:40 »
If this is the case...why are many NEW USA cars still furnished with red turn signals?  Personally, I will stick with my all red and keep the car authentic.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:21:50 »
1)  I switched to the amber because it was less costly and more common; as noted in previous posts, I bought an excellent full set of tail lamps on eBay years ago for about $150.  My all-red set sold for over $600; that money was put to other good uses.

2)  I actually spoke with the DOT last year, and there did not seem to be a mandate to change from red to amber but it seemed most were doing it at the time of 1968 or so when a lot of other changes were being made.  I remember these little glass lenses available for Mini-Coopers (the REAL Minis of yesteryear) that were shared with Sprites, Midgets and other BMC cars were available in red and amber.

3)  All the cars I have driven (owned or leased) in recent memory have amber directionals, but I understand that JP might be correct; goes to what the DOT guy told me: manufacturer's design choice.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:37:28 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:00:17 »
Well, I made the switch in 1998 for a couple reasons. First, my left red one was ok but my right was badly broken (forget how). For a while I actually drove around with that red film stuff as my tail light. How cheesy is that. So the decision to get new tailights when I had the car painted was easy. I contacted Millers and StarQuality and was informed that only the later ones were available. So I went for it. They looked so much better I never even gave it a second thought.

Only later -- with the collective wisdom of the group, did I realize they were not "correct" for my car... But I am not biting. I have photos of the all-reds and to be honest, I think the car looks better with the ambers and I think the yellow signal is safer (ie more visible).

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Bob G

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 00:12:02 »
I want to thank the collective wisdom of people who answered my question. I could not fine a complete pair with backing bulb unite on e-bay for my car ,I do have them ordered through a good vendor friend of mine and cannot wait to change the red lights out.
I will keep the red taillights for carshow display purposes, I cannot in my heart sell they next question is should I adapt headrest? after all as John olson says "SLs are for driving,"
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 00:32:30 by Bob G »

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:05:04 »
Hi Bob

I am adapting headrests onto the seats on my 230SL. Since the car is to be driven, and my 3-yr old daughter has her heart set on riding in it with me, safety is the major issue. I have also updated to retractable seat belts for this same reason (but have kept the old lap-style seat belts).

However, I am looking at whether the all-red tail lights can be modified to flash amber when turning. My W210 E36 has all red tail-lights and the turn signal is amber. Investigation is under way.

Good luck with it all !

Rgds
Frank
1966 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
1996 E36 AMG
Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:19:25 »
I noticed something interesting on a collection of new Fords, and it probably applies to some later model cars of different manufacture.

The color of the tail lamp, brake lamp, directional, etc. can be either from the lens or a special bulb (LED?) inside.

I have red lenses on my TaurusX; these are for brakes.  I have clear lenses too--for the directionals WITH amber bulbs.  I think they are LED arrays as you can't see the bulb color unless they are on and flashing.

The Mercury Mountaineer has all clear lenses and the color of the braking, tail lamp and directionals are all controlled by colored lamps--not lenses.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:19:17 »
Interesting discussion... I suppose the next logical question would be: how different would an amber bulb show through a red tail light/lens?

Waqas in Austin, Texas
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:24:20 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas