Author Topic: OEM Glass  (Read 5460 times)

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
OEM Glass
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:04:20 »
Hello All,

I'm looking at replacing my windshield and want to stay as close to original and correct as possible so I guess I will be getting the glass from the dealer. In looking at the technical manual there are photos of a tinted "replacement" windshield, the markings in the photo show it to be a sekurit but the manual says PPG is now the maker of the "replacement" glass. Is the photo in the manual of a pre PPG windscreen or is PPG making them with the sekurit markings? if not how is a PPG windshield marked? The one in my car now has no markings so I guess it was a no name brand used at some point in years past.

I'm also wondering if I should have the dealer install it or get another glass vendor, sounds like it's easy to break so I will avoid doing it myself and get a professional.

Any comments appreciated!

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Cognac
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 14:16:08 by Mark280SL »
Mark

blue230sl

Re: OEM Glass
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:59:51 »
i had a windshield replaced by an auto glass place some years ago - they had to do it 4 times cause the first three times they tightened something just a little too tight and cracked the windshield...so i guess the message is DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME  :D

john
64 230sl euro 4 spd
89 190e 2.6

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 13:53:27 »
Mark, a good question for the Classic Center.

OEM windshields and OEM replacements had the 3-point star on them, etched with the Sekurit info.

My replacement windshield from a glass place was a tinted PPG.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

bpossel

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 16:44:56 »
Hello Mark,

I think the pic in the maunal is my new windshield?
I ordered it from the dealer a few months ago and is currently being held while my body is under-going a complete restoration.
PPG is the manufacturer and it does have the MB logo on it, as well as the "Sekurit" name.
When it arrived at the dealer, I went and took a few pictures of it.  It has been stored for me while my body is being redone.

I will have a local installer install it.  The dealer in Memphis does not install glass, new or old model.  They use a local subcontractor, who has been installing MB glass for years!

Please let me know if you have any add'l questions that I can help you with.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 18:11:27 »

Thanks Bob!!

Perfect, I'm glad it comes with the star and the original sekurit markings! And thanks for the offer, you can be sure I will have more questions.

I'm always on the lookout for each of your restoration updates and love watching and reading of your progress.

Mark

quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

Hello Mark,

I think the pic in the maunal is my new windshield?
I ordered it from the dealer a few months ago and is currently being held while my body is under-going a complete restoration.
PPG is the manufacturer and it does have the MB logo on it, as well as the "Sekurit" name.
When it arrived at the dealer, I went and took a few pictures of it.  It has been stored for me while my body is being redone.

I will have a local installer install it.  The dealer in Memphis does not install glass, new or old model.  They use a local subcontractor, who has been installing MB glass for years!

Please let me know if you have any add'l questions that I can help you with.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Mark

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 20:25:42 »
Here are a couple of pics:

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320