Author Topic: glove box lock  (Read 3776 times)

tomeo

glove box lock
« on: April 11, 2008, 09:10:51 »
Need assistance in opening glove box on my 1966.  I have the proper key and it will not turn.  In all fairness to responders, The top of the glovebox was unsucessfully pried partially open by a vandal this winter!  Any help appreciated.

thank you in advance
tom

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: glove box lock
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 13:36:09 »
The glove box locking piece moves clockwise as you turn the key to the locked position. The locking piece fits into a space at the top of the glove compartment and rests (locks) against a metal part at the top front of the glove box opening.

If the right side of the top of the glove box door can be pushed in while turning the key counterclockwise, it might allow the latch to move. Don't force it too much as the key mighht break off in the lock.

The lock itself is secured with a single philips head screw accessible from the inside only (of course).

If this does not work, if you can get access to the cardboard body of the glove box, from the side perhaps through the radio opening, the box can be torn away to get inside with access to the lock. Don't do this until you know a new box body is available and until
more advice is posted by others who know more than me.

Also, I believe a locksmith can drill the lock out.

Richard M
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).