Author Topic: unknown mystery switch  (Read 4407 times)

vecoth

unknown mystery switch
« on: April 10, 2008, 17:10:10 »
I recently purchased a '71 280SL and it has a pull type knob switch on the center console behind the ash tray.  Does anyone know what this could be for?

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: unknown mystery switch
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 17:29:14 »
This is the switch for the Hard Top rear window heater.

There should be a wire and plug coming up behind the driver's seat back. The plug attaches to the short wire coming out of the Hard Top.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

vecoth

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:16:46 »
Thanks for the response.  My hardtop doesn't have any wires or any lines in the glass.  Does this mean that I probably don't have the original top?

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 12:45:43 »
Possibly. You can confirm this by examining the hardtop for a serial number. You'll need to remove the top to see it. If memory serves, it's on the passenger side under the rear window embossed on the edge that sits on top of the car when it's in place. This number should match the hood (aka bonnet), tonneau cover and transmission shield on the undercarriage. The number is also the last series of numbers on the plate on the driver-side of the engine bay.

The were another optional switch that goes on the center console right next to the rear window defrost knob. Frankly, I forget what its function was.... Rear fog lamp perhaps? Anyone else remember?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 16:25:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by vecoth

Thanks for the response.  My hardtop doesn't have any wires or any lines in the glass.  Does this mean that I probably don't have the original top?

You might not have the original glass, due to breakeage in the past, or a replacement hardtop.  Knowing what we know now about how difficult and expensive it is to replace the rear glass, it might have been cheaper for a p.o to buy and repaint a used hardtop than to pay to replace the glass!

By all means check for matching body numbers.  You'll know soon enough what the story was!

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 16:25:19 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

al_lieffring

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 16:09:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Douglas
[br

The were another optional switch that goes on the center console right next to the rear window defrost knob. Frankly, I forget what its function was.... Rear fog lamp perhaps? Anyone else remember?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

I have seen a front to rear fader mounted there(twist knob)for a 4 speaker stereo instalation. Not sure if this was a factory option.

I'm riding 50Km. on my Unicycle 18 May, 2008 in the Tour de Cure.
http://main.diabetes.org/goto/al.lieffring
Please help if you can by sponsoring my ride.
Al Lieffring