Author Topic: Clear Coat Paint - Standox  (Read 12219 times)

bpossel

Clear Coat Paint - Standox
« on: April 06, 2008, 05:26:29 »
Is anyone familiar with "Standox" paints?

This is what my painter is using. He said it is the first time he has used this brand of paint and claims it seems to be a harder finish and thus taking longer to buff it out...  Not sure if he is setting me up for more labor $, if his arms are getting tired of holding the buffer, or if this paint is really that good?

Any paint experts out there?

Thanks,
Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 05:27:33 by bpossel »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Clear Coat Paint - Standox
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:39:06 »
Bob,

Go to the Standox website, interestingly their 1967 refinish catalog has a 113 on the cover...

Their USA contact is in my backyard with a DuPont email address...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:12:54 »
Hi Mike,

Thanks...  so it looks like pretty good paint?  They also used Standox for the base coat.
Here is a pic of the hood, taken yesterday.  Picture is a bit dark, but hood is nice and shiny!  With some luck, they will actually start putting the base coat on next week....  i hope!

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:13:41 by bpossel »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 13:44:32 »
My guess is you have nothing to worry about.  One day I'll be saying, "Gee, I'd like my car to look like Bob Possel's" instead of the other way around.  And, that day is fast approaching!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 01:49:24 »
Standox is the new trade name of the original paint supplier to Mercedes-Benz: "Herberts". If your paint code ended in a H you had a Herberts paint. See http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=DataCard.PaintCodes. It had better be good!

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 08:55:46 »
quote:
Originally posted by vanesp

Standox is the new trade name of the original paint supplier to Mercedes-Benz: "Herberts". If your paint code ended in a H you had a Herberts paint. See http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=DataCard.PaintCodes. It had better be good!

Peter

1970 280SL. Also known as 'admin@sl113.org' and organiser of the Technical Manual.

Note: MB paint codes ended in G (Glasurit) or H (Herberts)

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Bob G

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 23:35:33 »
Though it is important to me and many of you. The new  paint systems are all very much alike  and all have to meet the complaint 2k formulation. I think what is very important is matching the orgianl color code of the car as close as possible. I have heard of Standox and  they have a good reputation. Sure I wouldrather use the brand that was on the car orginally, but as long as I get the same quality and color and many painter are using new technology that tells them a lot of detail. If the paint is put on just  right were it looks like it doesn't need any cutting and polishing thaen you have a good painter.
I  canot wait to have my 280SL painted and  striped  of  years of negleck. I am happy for thoses who have been able to restore thier cars  this alone improve the breed.

Bob & Sharon Geco
1968 280SL
168 white grey with black hard top and black MB tex.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 23:36:23 by Bob G »

George Des

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 04:56:02 »
Most if not all of the modern 2 part paint formulations are basically the same. The best of them depend upon a highly toxic isocyanate hardener that provides for a very shiny, hard, durable finish that allows it to be color (clear) sanded and then buffed to a highly smooth finish. The fact that it can be color sanded 24 hours after application allows the painter to remove many of the imperfections that you would just have to live with if using a synthetic or 1 part acrylic enamel finish as was the original paint on most MBs of the 113 era. Some special order MBs came with a lacquer finish that could be color sanded but this finish while used on show cars primarily because it could be buffed to a show qulaity finish did not use a hardener and thus was not as durable and was highly subject to cracking and crazing--especially if left outside subject to multiple heat cycles. Bottom line is that Dupont, Glasurit, PPG, Standox all produce a quality product. Individual painters have their favorites and I would agree that color match, surface prep and use of a complete single line of products from one manuafacturer (to ensure compatibility of successive coats) from primer, through primer surfacer and top coats is probably the most important thing to look for. Primarily out of availability considerations, I went with PPG acrylic urethane and I'm most pleased with the results--and I did the prep and paint work myself. For more info on paint, you may want to frequent Len Stuart's Autobody website--there is a wealth of paint info there.

George