Author Topic: Ready for paint  (Read 3631 times)

dwilli3038

Ready for paint
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:26:53 »
Tuesday I drove the Buckey Benz to the shop. I had removed all the trim including bumpers and grille, except the headlight assembly and tailight assmbly. I also removed the windheild. It was a very windy ride indeed. So now they are removing the paint. SoonI will know if I had a lot of bondo or not. I will be going today to see the progress.

Daryl
'64 230 SL Buckeye Benz Scarlet interior and Grey top Serial # 508
'77 280SE

al_lieffring

Re: Ready for paint
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:52:41 »
Daryl

Where are you having the work done?

Al

Al Lieffring
66 230SL

dwilli3038

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 17:55:00 »
three guys got together and bought a facility and hired a body mana anf a painter to do their work. They have gaciously consented to let the Buckeye Benz use their private facility.

I went there today the doors, runk hatch and hood have been removed and striped. So far so good. They have removed the 5 coats of paint an primer that had been aplied to the factory finish on all those removed pieces. The amazing thing wat the amount of bondo on the hood ....for no aparent reason. With the paint off the hood looks very good.

I will not see the SL for a week while I am on vacation. They should have it conmpletly striped by then.

Daryl
'77 280SE

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 10:11:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by dwilli3038

three guys got together and bought a facility and hired a body mana anf a painter to do their work. They have gaciously consented to let the Buckeye Benz use their private facility.

I went there today the doors, runk hatch and hood have been removed and striped. So far so good. They have removed the 5 coats of paint an primer that had been aplied to the factory finish on all those removed pieces. The amazing thing wat the amount of bondo on the hood ....for no aparent reason. With the paint off the hood looks very good.

I will not see the SL for a week while I am on vacation. They should have it conmpletly striped by then.

Daryl
'77 280SE

Daryl

Maybee when you get back from vacation, I could go along with you sometime and check the progress of the Buckeye Benz.

I am pretty sure I know where this secret shop is that you are talking about. I helped a friend set concrete forms for the automatic gate opener of a shop north of town full of 60's muscle cars and a couple of old Benzes, only the hard tops were there at the time and parts for an Adnauer were scarttered all over the back of the shop.

I'm riding 50Km. on my Unicycle 18 May, 2008 in the Tour de Cure.
http://main.diabetes.org/goto/al.lieffring
Please help if you can by sponsoring my ride.
Al Lieffring

dwilli3038

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 20:33:11 »
well she is pretty much naked at this point. All paint gone. The doors, hood, trunk lid etc all removed. As far as rust, the good news is she is not as bad as i feared, he bad news is she is not as bad as I hoped, but in general a little better than I expected. A left rear patch panel is on the way from K&K

Daryl
'77 280SE