Author Topic: Door Sill Rubber Replacement  (Read 7348 times)

n/a

Door Sill Rubber Replacement
« on: October 13, 2003, 13:49:04 »
Dear Group,

Between the two chrome trim strips on the door sill (under the door when closed) I have a rubber strip with grooves in it.  The rubber is bone color (my interior color is DB 219 "natural" leather - the paint is DB 158 white grey).  The only replacement rubber I have found is from Tom at Caliber - however it is black.  It does not look good.  I could try to dye it but I know the color will not last.

Guys - Help me with this.  Does anyone know where I can find this part in the original bone color - or similar material used for another MB model or another make of car?  I have called just about all of the SL part dealers but no luck.

Also I think the original floor mats for the 230SL are only available in black - which if true - will be my next problem.

- Richard

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Door Sill Rubber Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 14:45:58 »
Richard,
I also have the 219 interior.  My floor mats are brown, just as the rubber door sill covering is brown.  They match.  I have been told by Pete Lesler that you can't get the rubber door sill covering in correct colors any more, only black.  This appears to be the same problem as with the rubber floor mats, only black.

Preservation beats out restoration every time.

As a group, maybe we can create enough demand to get these parts reproduced by the Classic Center or some other independant company.  What do you think?  Do we have enough people concerened about historical correctness to do something about this?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 23:11:51 »
If I remember correctly, at the Techno Classica in Essen and/or at the Veterama in Mannheim, I saw at least one or two parts vendors who offered this material (aftermarket) in other colors. I think Achim pointed it out to me when we were both in Essen last April. These fairs are huge and attract thousands of enthusiasts all looking for these same kinds of parts. Maybe Achim or Naj or Albert, who were also there, can recall whether the light-colored material is actually available at one or more of these aftermarket (German) suppliers, and next time one of us goes there, he (more likely than she) can pick up a couple of linear feet / meters for the rest of us?

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 08:07:36 »
Cees, Rodd, Group:

I would pay to have floor mats (and door sill rubber) reproduced in other original colors.  I am restoring my car - and my goal is to do it as factory original as I can.  Floor mats and sill rubber are so basic that it is hard to believe that they are only available in black (or as I learned the official color description is "dark-grey")

If you have ever looked through any of the Corvette or Mustang parts catalogs - you can find anything you need.  Even the most obscure part.  I thought that the early SL's 300, 190, 230-250-280, had the same type of cult status in Europe.  Do the people who restore them have different standards for originality?  Do the details not matter as much?

On another note - I have been trying to find the original Michelin 185HR14 tire from their classic line - and have not been able to.  I called the Michelin US customer service telephone number and was told the tire has been discontinued for lack of US demand.  Does anyone know if they are still available in Europe?

- Richard

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2003, 08:54:38 »
Richard, if you're such a stickler for originality, why not go for the Phoenix reproductions that are now available from Coker Tire?

Also, I can't comment on the availability of the door sill rubber, but I suspect you'll be able to find something pretty close from other sources. I would check with some of the high-end restorers in the US first. I think it's generally acknowledged that US restorations are more meticulous/neurotic about these kinds of details than European restorations.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

(PS: You and our own Michael Egan have Pagodas & Marklin trains in common.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 08:56:51 by Douglas »

Bob G

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2003, 10:00:09 »
Cees is correct. The door sills rubber was grey. there must be an American Manufacture who can dupicate these rubber sill strips and get them in different colors.
P.S. Just got into the slot car game. I got a hot CLK to race.

Bob Geco
1968 280SL

n/a

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2003, 10:14:34 »
Doug:

I saw that Coker Tire had the Phoenix tire in 185HR14 size however I thought that it was the "Phoenix"  brand name manufactured in England - and not the Firestone Phoenix that some 230SL's were
originally fitted with.  (My data card reflects that the original tire was the Firestone Phoenix.)

I do not think the Coker tire is a reproduction of the original tire.

Doug - How about the door sill rubber and floor mats - Any ideas?

- Richard

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2003, 11:20:13 »
quote:
If you have ever looked through any of the Corvette or Mustang parts catalogs - you can find anything you need.
Richard,
They made soooooo many more Corvettes and Mustangs than Pagodas that I would expect more restoration tidbits be available for them than our cars.  It's all supply & demand and relativly speaking, we don't create much demand.

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2003, 11:20:54 »
Richard, Coker's tire is the same. Tom Sargeant even ordered a set. Call them and talk to them. They may not be listing it any longer, but they did have it as recently as a year ago. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll even be discounted. I seem to recall hearing something about  Coker wanting to get rid of them.

The door rubber is tricky. Call Hatch & Sons in Wayland, MA and ask them what they recommend. Either that or Sport Leight also in MA. If those don't work, I can also point to other potential sources of knowledge. (And by the way, I noticed my '73 MB sedan has the same kind of ridged rubber in its door thresholds.)

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2003, 13:26:36 »
Here's a 250 SL on ebay that has good photos of tan rubber floor mats with a tan interior. Note that it has black rubber in the door thresholds. Perhaps these were changed to black since it looks like the car was restored at some point:

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3801917/1065283779030_67_16RI.jpg

Douglas Kim
New York, NY