Author Topic: Window channel lubrication  (Read 6012 times)

jeffc280sl

Window channel lubrication
« on: April 01, 2008, 17:48:57 »
Finally decided to remove the felt window channel inserts I installed last year in the driver door. I'm going back to the aluminum slide jaws that attach to the window.  With the felt strips movement was good up and down but at the full extension up the window was not supported very well at all by the felt channel.  I could not get a reliable fit with the weather stripping.

As I took a good look at the window channel after cleaning out the glue I used to secure the felt I noticed two edges of the channel that over the years had been very lacking in lubrication.  These edges have scoring marks where the plastic slides inside the aluminum jaws ride up and down.

I thought I would post some pics of the channels so that the next time you have your doors apart you can lubricate the right edge versus slathering the area with grease.  The pictures clearly show the area of friction.

Let me know if the explanation on the picture is clear enough to locate the edge on your car.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Download Attachment: window grease.JPG
49 KB
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:07:21 by jeffc280sl »

jeffc280sl

Re: Window channel lubrication
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 17:49:50 »

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Download Attachment: window grease1.JPG
62.79 KB
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:04:35 by jeffc280sl »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 05:57:34 »
Jeff,

If you are in the area, come on by--you can help me! :D   This "undo" of the Ray Paul window channel special is on my to do list this spring.  Thankfully I only did the driver's door, not liking what I saw upon completion, for precisely the same reason(s) as you discovered!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:58:06 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jeffc280sl

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 08:14:26 »
Michael,

My problem in the past has been the aluminum jaws falling off the window.  I suppose there are two problems contributing to this.  Slide friction and jaw adhesion to the window.  I'm trying to address both issues this time around.  I think I understand where to lubricate and I'm trying JB Weld epoxy to secure the slide jaw to the window.  Looks good so far.  I'll put the window back in place later today and I'll know more after a couple of months of usage.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed