Author Topic: I could cry II  (Read 8807 times)

peterm

I could cry II
« on: March 31, 2008, 21:49:45 »
Was going into the Ranger game tonight when I got a call from the restorer who is tidying up a few things,  seems he took out the front end while on the way to the upholstery shop this afternoon rear ending another car.  Sounds like Ill be missing the May 4th meeting, can't wait to visit him in the shop tomorrow.  If the call came tomorrow id really think it was a joke, but I fear not.

pagoden

• Senior
  • USA, MD, Silver Spring
Re: I could cry II
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 02:45:41 »
Ohhhh, man! Hearts go out to you ... from all over the world,come to think of it, Peter.  "Tidying up a few things", eh?  Sincerest sympathies.

Denny

1968/69 280SL, just+100k mi, manual 4, 3.46, both tops, 717/904

peterm

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 07:52:42 »
didnt see the car yet- just spoke with him sounds like ill be getting a new grill, bumper, headlights,  radiator and we'll see what else......

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:47:11 »
Peter, I'm sorry to hear about this. Make sure they spring for OEM bumpers and not the repro bumpers on ebay.

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

peterm

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 16:06:03 »
hood, fan water pump, mouldings on left side, bumperguards, and the tally continues  may 4th is looking less likely as a participant

dwilli3038

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 05:50:46 »
I should not read this when I am getting ready to take he Buckey Benz to get paint. It looks sad with the grille, bumpers and trim all gone

Daryl
'64 230 SL Buckeye Benz Scarlet interior and Grey top Serial # 508
'77 280SE

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:08:10 »
Despite the injury to Peter's Pagoda, he will be hosting the May 4th gathering described in the Events section. Peter says he will be there sad faced and driving a Porsche.

A Porsche, what a come down!

Richard M :o)
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

peterm

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 12:59:36 »
saga continues-  I guess Ill be getting my cooling system addressed-  I'll have a new OEM radiator, ac condensor, fan clutch, fan, and water pump. If its not better after that ill reallly give up!  

Hagarty has been pretty efficient the estimate just came through and Im at 79% of agreed value at 24K for the repair

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 13:10:47 »
quote:
Originally posted by peterm

saga continues-  I guess Ill be getting my cooling system addressed-  I'll have a new OEM radiator, ac condensor, fan clutch, fan, and water pump. If its not better after that ill reallly give up!  

Hagarty has been pretty efficient the estimate just came through and Im at 79% of agreed value at 24K for the repair

Peter--let me get this straight.  Your restorer took out the front end, and your insurance (for which you might forever being paying for in additional premiums!) is paying for this?  Shouldn't the restorer's insurance?  Something's not right here.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 13:17:30 »
Too right

The restorer's insurance should cover it all, no questions asked.

And if not, it makes a mockery of them carrying insurance...
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

peterm

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 06:53:36 »
I am currently investigating just this issue.  My insurer tells me that they may eventually seek restituition from the garage owners insurance laibility policy.  The accident was absolutely chargable to the garage owner especially when dealing with liability for the other vehicle and potential physical injury claim.  I will obviously wind up losing somehow in this mess and it goes to the point that if you drop off a car for valet/service etc you will be somehow liable for "giving permission" for its implied use.  Estimate back 24k hagerty is a very fair company.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 09:36:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.

I have a standard garage auto insurance policy that covers me for most things but I still insist that everyone have their own insurance if I'm to be driving their car on public roads. If I use my service plate then it's covered by my insurance. However, you should NEVER expect any shop to be the primary carier for insuring YOUR car. Many cars are under insured these days and the shop shouldn't have to cough up money because you didn't insure your car properly.
Shop insurance is to protect the operation from liability, fire and other things. Some places have a sign that says '' Not responsible for lost or stolen goods. '' This is because some of these things end up in the owners hands I suppose.

The bottom line is simple:
You better keep full coverage on your car while it's at a shop being worked on. Some policys only cover so much and you might be out a lot of money if that place doesn't have enough to cover for all the things that could happen. If there was a huge lawsuit that included you and you had nothing on the car.....

You wouldn't believe how many people pull all their insurance off their car while it's being restored thinking the shop has it covered. If someone runs into your car while it's parked out in front of the shop are you covered? You might not be....

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061

Some interesting points.

However, in my case, I could not insure it while it was being restored as it was not registered.  It was not registered because it was not drivable.  How could you place a value on a work in progress?  If "collector car" insurance as Hagerty provides, they need photos.  Of a body shell?  When?  See the issue here?  Of course not all restorations are that complete but I think you get the idea.  If not collector car insurance, it would only be regular which might cover liability etc. but a book-value collision if any.  There might be some "work in progress" insurance available.

Of course it makes sense to maintain insurance while the car is being worked on, but while the car is in the hands of a licensed and insured mechanic or similar shop, their insurance should be the primary insurance covering damage, not the owner's--if only for the fact that owner's rates will go up with a claim that isn't his issue.

My experience with insurance at the business level is that Hagerty will happily take care of peterm's issue.  Then, they will directly or indirectly through subrogation, go after the shop owner or his insurance company.  I'm not a betting man but for those that are this is a safe one.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

peterm

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:47:12 »
getting closer to getting my pagoda back-   the repaint (we did the whole car) is done front end fixed -dimpleless but it started that way- now its just putting it back together replacing all the chrome that was removed for the paint, sorting out the cooling system condensor etc looks like im about two weeks away from getting my car back.  Im getting antsy

Douglas

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:31:48 »
quote:

getting closer to getting my pagoda back-   the repaint (we did the whole car) is done front end fixed -dimpleless but it started that way-

Peter,

Why not have the creases put it? I've got to think the body shop could do it easily... even now.

peterm

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 11:27:45 »
because i didnt go there the day they finished the body work and took it to the paint shop-  I was a little suprised the restorer didn't proactively address this himself

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 12:14:33 »
quote:

because i didnt go there the day they finished the body work and took it to the paint shop-  I was a little suprised the restorer didn't proactively address this himself

You're not the only one who is surprised!  Are you saying that the fender creases have not been put in when both you and the people doing the work know that they should be there?  Any paint shop that I have ever dealt with does their own flating and final surface prep.  They should be able to put the dimples (creases) in for you before they paint the car.  Don't for a minute put up with in incomplete job!  You didn't wreck the front end.  If they aren't there, make em do it over!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:18:12 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Douglas

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 12:27:02 »
I'm so glad to see that Michael said that first. I'm going to pile on here and add that you have a beautiful Pagoda that deserves this kind of attention to detail, Peter. Furthermore, as an enthusiast, you have a trained eye. I've got to think this will bother you over time.

seattle_Jerry

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 13:11:22 »
I would have ****ed about not getting a non-wrecked replacement. Its not like a new car thats value is in its ability to go from point A to B reliably. Now your fenders and hood don't match and are missing the stamps/headlight notches etc. You should be compensated for a reduction in value of your car.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 15:08:17 »
If the notches are not there and the car is already painted, would putting them there mean the car has to be taken back down to metal? or could they be added to existing paint and then another coat and clearcoat? (I kinda need to know this for my own car...) Thanks.
James
63 230SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 15:46:46 »
I would think not.  There is generally some filler around the headlamp buckets.  All that is really necessary is to mark the spot on the inner fender that corresponds to the notch in the chrome headlamp trim, remove the chrome trim, take a file to the selected area to introduce a slight notch in the filler and then sand it to the desired smoothness, prime it, and paint it.  That's why I was suggesting that the paint shop could and should do the notches as part of their final prep before painting.  I have seen this done at our (non-M-B dealer) body shop, and it truly takes less than half an hour per side to do.  Why have I seen it done?  Because the owner of our dealership has owned Pagodas since the '70's!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 15:48:01 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

peterm

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 10:14:42 »
Lets regroup for a second.  My car when new to me had no notches.  After the accident the evidence from prior front end work was obvious.  As to getting notches vs not - thats a subject that can be debated-

the vehicle when hit was 1500 from being totalled to the amount of agreed value from Hagerty.  Had I let the insurance company of the garage owner be in charge they would have never gone this high on the claim.  The responsible dealer will be giving much more value for his repair knowing the scutiny he's going to undergo from my peers for his work.  So far I'm not unhappy with whats going on. Im getting new chrome grill hood etc some of the items were in good shape some were OK now they're all new.  I will not be losing value in the car from this ordeal

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 11:57:57 »
Hi, Peter -

I see your point exactly.  I think that many of those of us who have responded may have inferred from your posting that you were disturbed that you were unable to be there before the car went to the paint shop and thereby missed the opportunity to discuss notches.  Perhaps the best lesson we all can glean from your experience is that one should have good insurance and review and adjust the values regularly!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

peterm

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 12:24:49 »
follow up-  Im starting to get itchy-  Both the repair shop and I want to be ready for the june 22 MB show at Atlas*.  He is well aware of the scutiny he's going to undergo and after speaking with him I know he feels the pressure as well.  I do want my car back and long for it on such sunny beautiful day as today.  I'm promised next week and he mentioned that there were a few things he wanted to address before returning it, as he knows that its important to me that its done right,  I guess I can't ask for more than that.

Peter

*Moderator comment: The Atlas Mall show in Glendale, Queens, NY June 22, 2008. We hope that all the Pagodas that planned to attend Peter's rain cancelled show will be at the June 22nd event. See the Events Forum for details...and let's hope to see Peter there in his stylish Pagoda! Richad M, Moderator
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 18:16:43 by 280SL71 »