Author Topic: Door sill inlays - rubber or vinyl?  (Read 9136 times)

tempur

Door sill inlays - rubber or vinyl?
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:15:38 »
Dear Pagoda fans,
I would like to follow some advice given on this forum back in 2006 on painting the rubber strips on the sills.  A company named Parasol sells products to paint rubber or vinyl and my question is if anyone knows if the material MBZ used for these inlays (now only available in black) was in fact rubber or vinyl?

Also, I've been following a thread regarding the original color of rocker panels on Pagodas.  My 1965 230sl, which I believe to be untouched, has the panels painted in a mid-grey (see picture).

Anyone care to comment?

Many thanks,
Tempur

Download Attachment: DSC0010.JPG
69.75 KB
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:39:45 by 280SL71 »

zoegrlh

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Williamsburg
  • Beauty from top BCW
Re: Door sill inlays - rubber or vinyl?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 19:04:56 »
Vinyl, mine are original and still look as good as new, and are still plyable.

Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

1970 280SL, Red on Silver,4-speed, Euro spec; 1999 C230 Kompresser Sport, Black on Black; 1990 Miata, Black on Red, 5 Speed
Robert Hyatt
Williamsburg, VA.

W113, 1970 280SL, Red leather 242 on Silver Gray Met. 180, 4-speed stick, Euro spec, restored
R172 2012 SLK350, Black Premium leather 801 on Mars Red 590, 7-speed auto
W211, 2007 E320 Bluetec, Cashmere MB Tex 144 on Arctic White 650, 7 speed auto

Longtooth

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 23:16:41 »
Mine are vinyl, not quite as good as new, but still extremely pliable without cracking as I had to lift them up recently to get rid a 'bump' or two under them.  Said bumps aren't big by any stretch, but have bugged me no end over the years so I pryed them up (after slicing thru the glueline to prevent undue stress on them) to find and remove the 'bump' culprits.... turn out they were due to the heads of a couple of the flathead screws used to hold the rocker cover down to the rocker... there are several of these hold-down screws, and the 'bump' ones were very slightly canted (slight mis-alignment of tapped holes in rocker with holes in rocker cover). I wouldn't have thought such a miniscule (thinner than your little fingernail tip) slight 'rise' of one edge of the flat-head would have created those bumps.  

Anyway, in prying up the vinyl sill strips there was no cracking and though some temporary stretch, the retook their shape within a few minutes.  I solved the 'bump' problem by countersinking the rocker cover holes with the conical tip of my 3/4" drill bit... drilling at the approx.angle of inclination of the flat-head screw orientation in the bump locations.

On your medium grey rocker covers on your '65 230SL.... though all the photos from Engelen's book (see my post on the rocker cover thread) after the Geneva premier appear to be black, there are a couple that may be medium grey as late as a '67 250SL, but those photo's are B&W so I can't be sure.  There's a full page color spread of an early 230SL (still has the large round (cylindrical) coolant water expansion chamber mounted at the right rear corner of the engine compartment) that definintely shows black rocker covers. It's possible perhaps that there was an option of medium grey or black for some period time --- perhaps until the 280SL appeared.

Longtooth
67 250SL US #113-043-10-002163
'02 SL500 Sport
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 23:18:27 by Longtooth »

tempur

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:43:14 »
Dear Longtooth,

Many thanks for your advice on the rocker panel covers. Still a bit of a mystery, however, which I hope to get resolved by MBZ in Germany.

Tempur
'65 230SL
'68 280SE
'95 E280T

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:30:35 »
I have seen the ribbed vinyl/rubber sill tops, not sure if NOS or repro though

Anyone come across the shiny metal door strip that crimps the inner side of that rubber down. Mine is dinged up pretty badly. I don't think it's chrome though. Is this the part that was mentioned in another thread about K&K trying to get new ones made up?
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:53:43 »
I checked with K&K a month or two ago and they were still waiting on the repo inner trim piece, the one that gets kicked when you step in and out of the car.  I gave up on their repo, and am having mine redone by the same company that rechromed my bumpers.  They will rework the metal, take out the dents, scratches and repolish.
I'll take some pics and post once I get them back.
Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

Anyone come across the shiny metal door strip that crimps the inner side of that rubber down. Mine is dinged up pretty badly. I don't think it's chrome though. Is this the part that was mentioned in another thread about K&K trying to get new ones made up?

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:54:14 »
Bob, Tosh and others,

I managed, at the time of restoration, to replace these trim pieces at a reasonable price.  I believe they are made of clear-anodized aluminum.

The good news is that being aluminum, they are easy (well, in  a relative sense to a skilled craftsman!) to work.  In the process however, particularly in re-polishing, the anodizing will be compromised.  That only means you might need to, on occasion, take some metal polish to it to keep it looking tip-top.

It's astounding at how much abuse this one piece of trim receives even in a carefully owned car!

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 07:45:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tosh

Tosh,

Saw some at Essen for €145.00 each.

naj

68 280SL
68 280SL

Bob G MN

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, MN, Stillwater
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 09:05:31 »
About the metal door strip, I had mine replaced about a year ago.  The  shop seemed to have no trouble getting them at that time.  I think they were about $200 each and I believe they came from MB but I'm not sure.  About the rocker panel color I believe that is painted with 3M Autobodyshutz which is still available.  It is black but has a tinge of grey in it.

Bob

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 18:06:53 »
The two sill pieces and rubber insert are still available from MBZ.  I just spent a small fortune on both sides.  Buy new v. repro or refinished whenever possible.  My $.02.

1971 280SL
Arabian Gray
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

KevinC

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 19:54:20 »
If only black is available now, these must be original?

Download Attachment: PICT0339A.JPG
82.22 KB

Kevin Caputo
Hampden, MA
1967 230 SL Automatic
670 Light Ivory
113 Bronze/Brown MB Tex