Author Topic: Removing airducts  (Read 3700 times)

Anfinn

Removing airducts
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:18:15 »
I am in the process of dismantling the items behind the dashboard.
Following the info in this forum, I have come quite a long way.
(Some variations though; the three main instruments were glued in place! :evil: )
Now I am stuck, however. To get the wiper mechanism out, I have to loosen the last screw by the spindle on the driver side. This is hidden behind the paper-mache(?) air duct up to the front screen.
This duct should come out towards the passenger side, but I find it  impossible  to move away from the wiper spindle. There is a bracket that stops it moving down away from the wiper spindle.
Has anybody with experience in this process any helpful hints?

'andy280
1970 280 auto

bpossel

Re: Removing airducts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 14:01:29 »
Andy,

I recall the drivers side defrost duct (paper mache) and the wiper mechanism virtually the last items to come out from my dash.  The last item after these was the heater core.

I recall that I had to wiggle and carefully manuver the duct a bit out of the way, then remove the last screw holding the wiper mechanism.  Then ended up removing both duct and wiper mech. at the same time.

I have often wondered how I will get this all back together again.

I wonder how they assembled this at the factory when new?  There seems to be a trick with many of these parts, sometimes its easy once you do it the first time...

Anyone else with better ideas, method?

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Anfinn

Re: Removing airducts
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:48:05 »
Thanks Bob,
I got them out the way you described. Minor damage to the air-duct.
Like you, I am wondering how to get them back in, but i guess "where there is a will, there is a way"
Good job I took the wiper mechanism out though. It was as stiff as anything.

'andy280
1970 280 auto