Author Topic: Fix or replace grill?  (Read 4641 times)

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
Fix or replace grill?
« on: February 28, 2008, 13:47:57 »
The front grill band chrome part on my 280SL has a ding in it about 1 in long and almost the width of the piece. It's not the part with the star emblem in it but the frame piece around it. K&K has it in their online catalog for $1,800.00 Ouch!! I was thinking I would try and have it fixed and the chrome redone but wondering if that would be considered a difficult part to re-chrome and end up costing even more then buying a total replacement. From what I'm reading in the other posts the complexity of the part has a lot to do with the cost to chrome it and then of course there will be repair costs. I'm just trying to decide on the best option or if other alternatives exist. Anyone have any idea ?  

Mark Ivory 1970 280 SL
Mark

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Re: Fix or replace grill?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 14:52:50 »
The metal is very thin and difficult to straighten.  Chroming is not the problem, straightening is.

Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 17:21:42 »
Mark,

There's usually a reproduction available from the major W113 vendors for around $700-800.  You may want to contact K&K and inquire when the reproductions will be available again.  Others can pipe in on the quality of the repro.  I have heard some don't fit well.  Yet, I can't imagine Millers, K&K,  Bud's, etc. selling one that didn't fit properly.  Perhaps it's Ebay that you need to watch out for!

I would think a top quality chrome shop could restore yours perfectly.  Even if they have to apply a layer of lead/copper and sand it down  before plating, it should be feasible.  Contact Graves in Alabama...they do top quality plating.  They are not cheap but are top notch.  Call them and discuss your situation...maybe you can e-mail them a picture of the surround.  Here is their link:

http://www.gravesplating.com/

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 17:23:47 by JPMOSE »
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 17:35:20 »
Mark,

This is a tough one.  The material is chrome plate over brass.  In addition, the surround (that's the proper name)is prone to stress cracking in the upper right hand corner (when looking at the car head on).

My original was trashed, and I went to an ebay seller some years ago (don't know if he's still around) called 1boygenius and he was selling them rechromed.  Well, they were "Tijuana" repair and chrome jobs, quite literally (he's in LA and sent them down there!)

First one looked great, but didn't fit.
Second one looked great, too, but didn't fit either.
Third one fit great--but wasn't re-chromed!!
We came to "an arrangement on price" but I have to give the guy credit for trying to please...

Sent that third one to Graves for plating, and it came back great.  It was an interitive fit process during the body/prime/paint phase of the restoration.  When final fit was made--Craaaaaaackkkkkk!.

The restorer separated the crack; filled/repaired by brazing with silver solder and sent it out for plating AGAIN.

Use this information for your best judgment.

>The reproductions don't fit well--unless you might have a reproduction nose piece.

>They can be repaired.

>Plating is expensive.  Plating twice is more so :(

That's the bad news.  The good news is it's been 7 years and all is well.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 01:29:41 »
Based I my experiennce I would offer the following:

Point out to the restorer that the metal is brass.

Point out the fact that the surround consists of compound curves and look closely at where they start and stop.  This detail make repairs a challenge.

Weigh the piece before and after the work is done.

Understand that they will need to remove the existing chrome before they can make any repairs.

Fit the repaired grill to your car prior to chrome plating

If the grill needs to be bent slightly to allow it to fit correctly, make sure you do these adjustments prior to plating or you will have cracks later.

When refitting the finished grill on your car, make sure to apply tape to the back side of the grill to prevent metal on metal rubbing.

When I bought my car the grill was dented and cracked right at the upper nose.  When my grill surround was done, it weighed almost 5 lbs.  It weighed around 2.5 prior to the repairs. Not only was the metal too thick, not allowing the top edge to fit flush with the nose section of the body between the hood and grill.  The repair of the top center point was reclocated about an inch off center and the concave curve on the lower part of the top section of the grill surround was flat.  Also, the grill did not fit.  The angles of the surround in relation to the nose of the car body were no longer the same.  We wound up getting another grill surround with a minor dent that the shop was able to repair without brazing and soldering.

You decision will ultimately lie in the level of confidence you have that the shop can do it correctly.  If you have good success, we would like to know but the need to trial fit would make using your source an added cost if the grill needs to be shipped back and forth.

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:04:25 »
Thanks for all the good tips guys. I'm going to be taking the part out and sending it off to Graves for repair and the new chrome. I'll upload the before and after photos and let you know how it went when I'm done. Thanks again.

Mark
1970 280 SL Ivory/Congac
Mark