Author Topic: Mercedes Bulletin Retro fitting softtop California  (Read 7842 times)

lennu

Mercedes Bulletin Retro fitting softtop California
« on: February 15, 2008, 06:57:53 »
I bought a RHD 1970 280sl last August, the car is in Fantastic condition, having been stored since it was 3 years old, in dry South Africa. The only problem is its a California Spec, which is fine for South Africa, but not Ireland. I bought a very tatty 280sl last week to get the parts to retro fit the soft-top, bin, and cover. I'm lead to believe Mercedes, published a bulletin or conversion chart, would anyone have a copy, or know where to get one?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:58:38 by 280SL71 »

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: Mercedes Bulletin Retro fitting softtop California
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 20:48:51 »
Leonard,

Hello and welcome to the Group!  Why on Earth did you buy a car you didn't want?  There are many more cars that do have a soft top & storage well than "Califonia" ones that don't.  Maybe it was the best RHD car you could find?  Just curious.

I've been reading this forum since it's inception (March, 2003) and I don't recall any MB bulletin for this.  That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it's just not something commonly needed.  Gernold at SL Tech in the USA (http://www.sltechw113.com) has probably done the conversion you desire, so maybe he has information or experience to share?  Here is a German company that does the conversion:  http://www.sl-pagode-shop.de/en/umbau_rechts.html  Also, I have been told that there are convertible tops that can be placed on the car without modifying it.  You can not put the hard top on once this soft top is in place.

Rodd
Pagoda Technical Manual
please contibute: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php
1966 230SL
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 01:00:41 »
I think there may be a bulletin but it wasn't about how to make a "California roadster" into a fully functional SL but rather how to fit the original top without the storage bin and cover. I always thought it looked a little dodgy with the folded top just hanging in space.

RCS Coupe

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 21:40:31 »
I have a California Coupe 250 SL that I just finished a nut-n-bolt, stripped down body restoration on. After much thought, I kept it as a coupe even though I had all of the pieces needed to convert it to a full folding top roadster: top well sheet metal, folding top, top well closing panel, trunk spring & hinge assembly, bits and pieces of hardware.

You can put a folding top on a coupe without too much trouble. If you remove the arm rests on either sides of the rear seat, you will find  mountings for bolting down the folding top mechanism. The basic body structure is the same on a coupe as a roadster, only the trim details vary (except for the addition of the top well sheet metal.)

Ray
(268)Green 250 Coupe

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 14:57:27 »
Here's a link to a German site that shows the "drop-in" conversion:

http://www.pagode.info/56.htm

IMHO, the Coupes are an interesting variation from the norm, so congrats on purchasing a rare and unusual Pagoda. (Now it's time to share some pix!)

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 21:23:37 »
Shvegel,
I beg your pardon.  My Coupe IS "a fully functional SL"!  It just doesn't have the extra weight and consternation that come with a rag top.  :mrgreen:

I believe you have a Roadster/Coupe.  I understand it was also possible to buy a Roadster (only), which didn't come with a hard top.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 22:58:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond

Shvegel,
I beg your pardon.  My Coupe IS "a fully functional SL"!  It just doesn't have the extra weight and consternation that come with a rag top.  :mrgreen:

I believe you have a Roadster/Coupe.  I understand it was also possible to buy a Roadster (only), which didn't come with a hard top.

Ray,

It looks like you enjoy being precise in your terminology.  I'm not sure if what you have is a "coupe".  My car was originally a "coupe" when ordered because it came with a hard top, but no soft top.  It has always had the normal capacity to have a soft top, but it was ordered without it.  Someone added a soft top to the car, an early top with the chrome trim above the window, at some point in time.

So, being particular with terminology, I think this is why people differentiate between a "coupe" and a "California coupe", even if that term was not used by M-B.

Rodd
Pagoda Technical Manual
please contibute: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php
1966 230SL
2006 C230 Sport Sedan
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:44:09 »
This is a very confusing thread. We have two different people named Ray who both have California Coupes. What are the chances?

Douglas Kim
New York
USA

Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 17:08:41 »
What adds to the intrigue is that both coupes have been restored and I think they might also both be the same color.  I have seen the Virginia Ray's ("Raymond's")  and it is definitely what is commonly known as a California Coupe.  It is also likely to be the best club member personal restoration of a 113 that I personally have ever seen.

Mike

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 20:49:25 »
Can I help confuse things some more?Raymond, (that would be me) is from Florida.  (I only chose "Raymond" because "Ray" was not available.  Though after four years I have never seen a post from whoever he is.)  I've done a lot of work on my car, but if it's the best you've seen, you haven't seen many.  

My color is Classic White 050, with Congnac interior.  I look forward to seeing another coupe in person someday.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe