Author Topic: boom mat  (Read 3826 times)

nick350

boom mat
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:19:59 »
does anyone have any experience or comments about this stuff ? I'm looking for great soundproofing from road noise.:-

http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=58

I'm especially curious about the thickness as the dynamat does seem to be quite a lot thinner and presumably although not as effective soundwise, is perhaps easier to get a nicely fitting carpet.

nd
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 12:44:43 by nick350 »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: boom mat
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 12:35:18 »
Hey Nick. No, had never heard of it. (means nothing). It looks a bit less expensive than Dynamat Extreme, which seems the insulation of choice here. I just recently went on a quest for sound proofing for my front floors -- but could not justify the expense of Dynamat. Maybe after I redo my floor panels but not just yet. I then found some stuff at my local NAPA autoparts store. It came in a roll 4' x 8'. Silver foiled on one side and about 7/16ths thick. Unlike Dyno, however it is not self-adhesive. A little 3m spray solves that. 24 dollars.

Just this morning, on a brisk top-downer to work, I think it makes a sound difference. Hear the pipes from the back instead of underneath...

James
63 230SL
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:54:59 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

DavidBrough

Re: boom mat
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:30:52 »
Hi Nick,

Have a look here www.noisekiller.co.uk I have used their adhesive barrier mat and non adhesive acoustic floor mats. The former are used on any bare metal in the boot floor and doors to stop booming whilst the latter goes under the boot mat and carpets. The acoustic mat is very heavy and most effective. Don’t bother with any under bonnet materials as I found it makes the engine run hotter, which is not good in summer.

David Brough
1969 280SL Auto with A/C