Author Topic: What are these wires for? need to cut to remove  (Read 4678 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
What are these wires for? need to cut to remove
« on: February 09, 2008, 13:00:30 »
This is behind the drivers seat the vinyl piece that the seat belt 3rd point attaches to. The wires and plug end go through the vinyl.  The wires split one coming out the vinyl with the plug the other going to where the drivers seat would be.  I need to remove the vinyl piece to dye, but I don't what to cut these wires until I know what they do.  The end plug , even with the grommet out, won't fit through the hole in the vinyl.

P.S. 1st MAJOR snag, the hood flew off in transport, it yanked out from from the front hinges clean the bolts were still in the hinges.  What a start!, and my insurance won't cover it.  So it looks as though only the one corner has been bent, I am going to try to pound it back.  But hey, no one was injured and if the car was all done and the hood came off I am sure it would have broke the windshield and probabily injured me

Bob 1971 280SL 1 car 15 boxes and now 1 hood
Download Attachment: WIRBEHINDDRVSAET1.jpg
105.21 KB

Download Attachment: WIREBEHINDDRSEAT2.jpg
116.75 KB
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 13:24:39 by BaronYoungman »
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: What are these wires for? need to cut to remove
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 14:47:01 »
Baron,

I might very well be wrong--but this might be the power connection for the rear-window defogger on the hard top.  Do you have a hard top?  If so, check and see, you might have a pigtail wire coming down for that.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 16:39:48 »
The flying Hood reminded me of story told to me by Ray Paul (parts dealer)...

Seems that a Pagoda was driving down the highway when the hard top flew off! Top went sailing up and back. The surprised driver stopped along the shoulder of the road then looked back to see if anyone was hurt and to see what happened to the top.

Small miracle, the top landed on the highway, correct side down. Nothing hit by the top, and nothing hit the top...minor damage to the top, not even the glass broke.

Moral of the story: make sure the top is LOCKED into place by both front pins...the tiny middle pins will not stop a flyaway top.

Richard M
P.S.  I once had my soft top fly back but only to the first frame rib. Now I always double tighten the front pins.

P.P.S. A car that has a rear window heater will have a switch located just behind the ashtray.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 16:41:30 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 19:57:39 »
Perhaps you can disassemble the connector? These connectors either have a tiny bolt holding them together, or is the later snap-together type. Once apart, you might be able to slide out each wire one at a time (with the soldered end still attached).

Hope this helps.

Waqas in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 20:16:56 »
Hardtop heater wire that is it! It matches pigtail on hardtop Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by BaronYoungman

This is behind the drivers seat the vinyl piece that the seat belt 3rd point attaches to. The wires and plug end go through the vinyl.  The wires split one coming out the vinyl with the plug the other going to where the drivers seat would be.  I need to remove the vinyl piece to dye, but I don't what to cut these wires until I know what they do.  The end plug , even with the grommet out, won't fit through the hole in the vinyl.

P.S. 1st MAJOR snag, the hood flew off in transport, it yanked out from from the front hinges clean the bolts were still in the hinges.  What a start!, and my insurance won't cover it.  So it looks as though only the one corner has been bent, I am going to try to pound it back.  But hey, no one was injured and if the car was all done and the hood came off I am sure it would have broke the windshield and probabily injured me

Bob 1971 280SL 1 car 15 boxes and now 1 hood
Download Attachment: WIRBEHINDDRVSAET1.jpg
105.21 KB

Download Attachment: WIREBEHINDDRSEAT2.jpg
116.75 KB

Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"