Author Topic: Backrest  (Read 3724 times)

hauser

Backrest
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:00:24 »
When I get in my car the backrest seems to move about an inch or so backwards.  Is this typical?  It's not really a big issue as everything seems to be pretty tight but it will send my windschott a few inches off it's verticle position.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

blue230sl

Re: Backrest
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 13:04:01 »
i'm having same problem....hoping the seat doesnt have to be taken apart to correct...

john
64 230sl
89 190e 2.6

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 17:22:04 »
There is a bar that connects the recliner mechanism from the knob on the outside of the seat to the mechanism on the  other side, when the two are out of sync the seat back can be twisted to where one side will not latch,

to get the chrome covers off the seat needs to be removed, once it is out there is one screw at the bottom center of the carpet covered back board. then the cross over bar can be adjusted to where the recliners on both sides are in sync.

The 64 sl will have a system of cables and a  tension spring that wind like a capstan around the  cross over rod.
About 1965 the mechanism was changed to a rack and pinion type mechanism on each side of the seat.

Al Lieffring
66 230SL

hauser

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:51:20 »
Al, it isn't a problem with the seat alignment but more of a backwards movement.  Not sure if this can be corrected or if it's just the nature of the seat.  This was never an issue before but once I installed the windschott it has bothered me.  The windschot to work properly should be at a 90 degree angle but once I climb in the seat pushes it back to 80 or so.

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.