Author Topic: Seat mounting brackets  (Read 3888 times)

BaronYoungman

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Joliet
  • Veronica...
Seat mounting brackets
« on: January 28, 2008, 16:58:44 »
My car 1971 280sl has had new floor panels welded in, the problem is I can only find one of the two outer triangle brackets that the seats mount to.  Are they the same on both sides?  Because the floorboards are new I can't tell where the brackets go.  Does anyone have the measurements or should i just place the seats in and mark.  If placing the seats is the best option are they mounted straight or on a bais toward the transmission?  Also, on the metal I was thinking of coating everything inside and under in POR 15 to prevent any future rust.  Is this my best bet for rustproofing?
Bob "Baron" Youngman
1971 280 SL silver  1 car 0 boxes
1983 500sec Wheeler Dealer AMG Widebody
1985 500sec Paris Autoshow AMG coupe
1994 320sl wifes car
1988 560sec  Japan "Yakuza Car"

jeffc280sl

Re: Seat mounting brackets
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 18:51:00 »
Baron,

I suppose you are talking about the rear seat brackets.  The outer one being mounted to the side of the frame rail.  Is this correct?
When I placed that outer bracket I used the holes in the seat slide to determine the location back to front of this bracket.  Up and down was determined by the inner bracket which was not replaced.  If you have the front two mounting holes and one in the back you should be able to locate the position of the 4th.

I have used POR15 and like it.  With all painting make sure the surfaces are very clean.  BTW wear gloves.  That stuff is wicked and will stain your hands for weeks.  The best treatment for rust is the prevent moisture from the outside.  Once it gets in a lays in place with damp carpet over years you are going to have problems.  Make sure the lower firewall has no leaks and replace the inside fender gasket.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 19:58:36 »
The slides come off the bottom of the seats fairly easily, you can use it as a fixture to locate the bracket.

The seats mount to the cross rail on the front. They mount with an M-8 screw in front and an M-6 in back.

When you put them in you'll want to attach the front screws first, then move the seat all the way forward to attach the rear.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 20:00:26 by Paddy_Crow »

psmith

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 21:33:01 »
The short answer is that they are the same on both sides.  I have my carpets out of my '67 230 and measured 10.5 inches from the back of the front cross member to the front of the bracket (bare metal dimensions)

http://uploaded/psmith/200812822310_rearbracket.JPG

http://uploaded/psmith/2008128223146_bothbrackets.JPG

Pete S.