Author Topic: Transmission Tunnel Questions  (Read 4460 times)

psmith

Transmission Tunnel Questions
« on: January 23, 2008, 00:46:38 »
So in preparation for new floors I stripped out the carpet and insulation and I have a few questions about the trans tunnel.  

The access cover on the right side looks a little home made and has a notch at the bottom. It has a nice thick bed of caulk to seal it.  Does this look right?

Next I found two threaded holes on top of the tunnel between the gearshift and the top access panel.  Any ideas what these are for?

Lastly, the front bracket that the tray mounts on is not flat like the rear one.  I assume they should both be flat.

Thanks!

Pete S.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Transmission Tunnel Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:20:43 »
Hello Pete,

Your cover is home made. It normally has no notch, about five screws, and painted black.  Look for the original srew holes.

The bracket should be flat.

I do not recall any holes this large in the tunnel. Could have been a mount for an add on radio CB etc?

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:09 »
I concur with everything Joe said. Here's a look at my trans tunnel, I've been assured it is completely stock.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch...

psmith

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 18:26:26 »
Thanks guys.  That confirms my suspicions.  When I put new carpet down, is it a good idea to use velcro on the right side so you can get in there if needed?

Pete S.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 13:15:32 »
Hi Pete. I suppose velcro would work. My problem with the velcro I've ever used is the mating of the two sides is stronger than the adhesive backing. Know what I mean? One side always wins...

Having said that, its better than gluing. When the uphols. guy did mine, he didn't glue it. I can peel back my tunnel carpet to get to the trapdoor. Whether he had the fore-sight or I just got lucky -- we will never know! The carpet is fitted pretty well so even without glue it stays put.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL