Author Topic: Heater/Defroster fan  (Read 5707 times)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Heater/Defroster fan
« on: January 17, 2008, 21:37:24 »
I purchased a new Spal blower for the Air Conditioner, but is there a replacement for the blower that is deep behind the heater core?  

I haven't tried to remove it yet.  That looks like it'll be a ton of fun.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

jeffc280sl

Re: Heater/Defroster fan
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 20:49:34 »
The blower motor for the heater is under the heater core.  Its located in a housing that sits atop the transmission tunnel.  Let me know if you decide to tackle the job.  I have some more info.

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 15:39:00 »
Ray,

I always said that the way they build a car on an assembly line is to hang the heater/defrost blower motor with fishing line, and build the car around it...

That being said, if yours is worthy of the effort, keep in mind that this motor can be rebuilt at any number of motor rebuilding places and I believe that Bud's also has "second sourced it".

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 21:13:37 »
So is what I'm reading that there is no aftermarket replacement?  

I haven't removed it yet.  It works, it just has a rattle in it.  I'm going to pull the heater core when I get to it, so I figured a new fan would be worthwhile.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:45:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond

So is what I'm reading that there is no aftermarket replacement?  

I haven't removed it yet.  It works, it just has a rattle in it.  I'm going to pull the heater core when I get to it, so I figured a new fan would be worthwhile.

Ray
'68 280SL 4-spd Coupe

No, Ray you did read this wrong.

1)  There IS an aftermarket replacement, from Bud's.  It's $165 versus $1,300 for OEM: http://www.budsbenz.com/catalog/200/heater

2)  Unless completely trashed--you can take your motor to a motor rebuilder, locally, or send it out.  Give all these guys a call and once you get it out pay them all a visit to see if they'll help you or recommend someone who can.  Sometimes these guys specialize in one kind or another (fractional HP or large HP; AC versus DC, etc.)and the only way to find out is to talk with them or visit them all with motor in hand.  Motor rebuilders are surprisingly common all around the world.

Jacksonville Electric Motor
2288 Edison Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32204  
(904) 354-5265

Hunter's Auto Electric Inc
2116 Kings Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32209  
(904) 353-6515

Tesla Electric Armature & Mach
735 Lane Ave N, Jacksonville, FL 32254  
(904) 781-4944

In a former life I was moving big-ticket printing equipment all over the world and that required having motors rebuilt as well as converted from 50Hz to 60Hz; from 208VAC to 480VAC, and all manner of similar conversions, rewinding, rewiring, new bearings, bushings, armatures, brushes, etc.  I've had this done in many places in the USA and also had no issues having it done internationally, in places like Brussels and Bangkok and Melbourne, Australia.  It is far more common than you would imagine.

Your biggest issue will be removing it and replacing it from the car itself, not getting what you remove either rebuilt or bought new as OEM or as an aftermarket.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 20:09:18 »
My heater blower had stopped working after it had been rattling around for a while too. Just by accident, I found that the FASCO DC135 fit the housing perfectly (although I had to replace its threaded mounting rods with slightly longer ones, easy). When bench testing this motor through the blower switch, it was obvious that the resistor wire in the switch could not handle the increased amperage (got bright red and began to smoke). I am currently arranging to put a
resistor at the fan (gets cooled there), and a generic switch that will work with the original knob and bezel nut. This setup will save a few bucks, but more important to me is getting a more powerful blower that is not a rebuild. It's maybe just me, but I'll worry less about having to go back in the blower box again for a while.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo