Author Topic: Correct paint pattern  (Read 6153 times)

kns

Correct paint pattern
« on: October 01, 2003, 22:41:54 »
I would again be grateful for any guidance that members of the group can offer: this enquiry concerns the correct paint pattern for the side of the Pagoda. When I bought mine, the panels below the bottom trim line, between the wheel arches, were painted body colour. The car was pretty original, and I assumed that to be correct. I then saw a number of examples in books and magazines where those panels are black, which has the effect of narrowing the waistline of the car, altering its look significantly. A friend suggests that the black on those examples is not just paint, but the same sealant used on the underside of the car (which has a particular German name that he could not remember and which I am sure I could not pronounce). Now I start to see body colour examples again - for example, in the featured Pagoda in the current edition of "Mercedes Enthusiast" (also an early 230).

I expect that there is a definitive answer to be found in one of the 'official' publications which I see mentioned on these pages but which I do not have (e.g. the 'BBB'?). Can anyone assist? Is there one correct pattern? If not, is it model-related, year-related, Euro -vs- export, customer option or some other criterion which dictates the correct pattern?

I would appreciate any guidance: it would also be interesting to know which pattern members prefer.

Cheers,

kns.
1965 230SL, Manual
[1965 220SEb Coupe, Man.]

Douglas

Re: Correct paint pattern
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 23:17:44 »
Your friend is correct. The rocker panel molding is supposed to be a dark gray/almost black color.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY

Ben

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 03:12:05 »
Yep we dicussed this at length before along with similar issues !

The trunk area should be satin/mat black, under the hood should be body colour, though I have seen black too on 280SL's !

From the early books I have, both by Meredith, one clearly shows pictures of the 230SL at launch which all have black rocker/sill panels and body colour wheel well areas. However the book "Essential SL" shows later/current pictures which contravene this.

I believe early 230SL were delivered with black rocker panels and body colour wheel wells but also that there may have been variences later on depending on where the car was destined for.

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.
'03 CLK Kompressor

n/a

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 10:10:57 »
The rocker panels between the wheel archs should be black, over a material called "3M Rocker Schutz" part No. 08874, which is a slightly different material than the "3M" product "Body Schutz" Part No. 08864, which is used for the wheel well areas.

The black in the trunk area and conv. top boot, is actually a very dark grey, which has a Mercedes Part No., which I do not have on me right now.

I had purchased all the 3M products and paint gun, and had given it to my painter, but he forgot, and shot the rocker panels body color. I am deciding whether to keep it like that or shoot again in black.

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 14:50:29 »
If your painter painted over clean metal instead of painting over the old Rocker Shultz, then you should be fine.  I would bet the cars were all painted then this material was applied.  My rocker material has worn away some over the years and some body color is visible in spots.

By the way, there is evidence that this Shultz material was not applied at the factory in the wheel wells.  There are many old photos of cars with body color in the wheel wells.  Might they have painted over the Shultz?

Rodd
Powell, Ohio, USA
1966 230SL, Euro, Auto, Leather, both  tops
1994 E420
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 14:53:49 by rwmastel »
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 11:16:37 »
Rodd,

Yes and no. ;)
Definitely all pagodas had satin-black (or very dark grey - I'll try to find out soon!) rocker panels. The satin-black color goes on top of the Body Schutz (Steinschlagschutz - gravel protection paint). Certainly the detachable rocker panels were not factory-painted with body color as they were mounted separately. If you find traces of body paint on the rocker panels, this is certainly of one of the several resprays that most of our cars have had throughout their life.
The wheel houses were factory-painted with body protection (Schutz) as well and then oversprayed in body color.

I am still not absolutely sure about the trunk.
It seems to be pretty clear the the trunk of the 280 SL was painted in a very dark grey ("Tiefdunkelgrau" (deep dark grey), RAL 7164 or something like that. Hans Strom knows the correct paint number.
However, this color is not correct for the 230 SLs, at least not the earlier ones. Those (like mine) were clearly and absolutely sure painted in satin-black.
I'll try to get some more info on this soon. :)

Best  :)

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 13:35:05 »
One important aspect regarding the rocker panels - if they are body color, on a lighter-color car, the car does not look nearly as good. The black (dark grey) makes the car look much more 'slim' and agile. That was most likely an important reason for the black color. Personally I think the wheel wells look a lot better in black as well, but AFAIK body color was original for those.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

n/a

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 17:04:49 »
The correct black/dark grey color for the trunk and convertible top dam are Mercedes No. 7164. Even though this is not available through Mercedes of the US at present, but most paint companies have a cross for this, I used DuPont, and they matched it perfectly.