Author Topic: Trunk floor  (Read 9841 times)

hauser

Trunk floor
« on: January 09, 2008, 16:57:34 »
What is the material that MB put on our trunk floors?  I am referring to the strips of material that may possibly act as sound deadening?

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

bpossel

Re: Trunk floor
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 18:03:56 »
Hauser,

That's a great question!  I will also need to know in the near future when the body shop has finished and I am ready to put all back together again.

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

Bob G

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 00:01:35 »
I beleive it is the same as the hood pad material. I have rolls of it except it is gray in color. I found a couple of strips glued to the trunk floor under the mat. However dynobrade sound proofing would work better or a bodyshop sound proof material which is sold from Worth and comes in strips and can be cut and laied down on the trunk floor . I think it comes in gray or black.
I purchased some left over material from michael Salami and it is still in the packing. Let me know if you need a part number or pictures.
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 00:02:26 by Bob G »

hauser

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 01:15:16 »
Bob G, part number and pics would be great.  As for the gray color could it be dyed black?

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 05:09:19 »
When these cars were rolling down the line...  do you think the trunk material was installed prior to painting.  So if the mat'l was gray, it would have been painted over in black (or rather the dark grey)?

Bob

bpossel  (Memphis, TN.)
'71 280SL  /  '97 E320

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:42:56 »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The material of which is being spoken about here are pads of sound deadener, but they are used to hold the wiring harness in place.  They are tar-impregnated fiber with a self-adhesive back.  As Bob Geco points out, Wurth makes some of this stuff and I think you can get pads of it from other sources as well.

There is no such thing on our cars at least, of hood pad material.  Our cars never had, and should not have, any hood pads.

Since the car was mostly painted/dipped what have you prior to being wired, these things are NOT painted over; else the wiring harnesses would be painted over too, and that would result in a big mess.

There are 4 pieces of this in the trunk of our cars.  Here are photos of the pieces and descriptions of where they are located; you kind of have to judge the sizes here.

Opening up a trunk/boot and starting at the upper left, you see the first piece that holds down the wiring harness:

Moving along the wiring harness as it traverses the trunk from left to right, in the center, we have the wiring branch off for the fuel tank sender and thus we have piece #2:

As the harness makes a bend on the right side to go down to the right tail lamp, we have piece #3:

And finally, as the harness goes under the spare on the right side, we have piece #4; you can see the tiny part of the second trunk mat showing:

These photos are taken from Don McDonald's car which is original and unrestored, a 1969 280SL.

Note that many cars do not have this any more; if you need to access the wiring harness you might have to remove it and replacement was one of those thing that few people ever do.  Also we all know that water in the trunk was common, so if repainting a trunk was ever done this stuff was removed so the harness(s) could be lifted out of the way.

I don't think the Wurth or any other is exactly the same stuff but it is pretty darn close.  However if you read Bob Platz's article on the 280SE Cabrio restoration in the latest issue of The Star, pretty darn close isn't good enough for extreme restoration.  No doubt Mr. Platz has researched the fiber content of the mat, and the exact hydrocarbon content of the tar as well and as sourced the original manufacturer's 90+ year old retired employees to remake this stuff as a cottage industry ;)  (Sorry, could not resist that one.)

Hope this helps everyone understand what we have, and where it is located.

Hi resolution photos are available to anyone; just contact me offline and I'll email them.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 13:45:43 »
Here's a link to one of the cars sold by Brian Peters from Motoring Investments.  Once there look at the trunk photo and there you can see a strip of pattered material.  This is what I was referring to.   http://motoringinvestments.com/C110_2.htm

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 15:06:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by hauser

Here's a link to one of the cars sold by Brian Peters from Motoring Investments.  Once there look at the trunk photo and there you can see a strip of pattered material.  This is what I was referring to.   http://motoringinvestments.com/C110_2.htm

1969 280sl 5 spd
Gainesville, Fl.

Hauser, this [the link you posted] is essentially the same kind of material as the one shown on the photos I posted albeit with a different texture.

I was going to ask, I will now, if those with "original" cars would check to see what they have and where.  In Motoring Investments there's ONE MORE PIECE shown than on Don McDonald's car shown in my photo holding down the harness, and two longer strips not present on Don's car.  It's also a 1971.

It could very well be one of those things like the took kit material--use the material you have on hand?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 11:26:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

I was going to ask, I will now, if those with "original" cars would check to see what they have and where.  

"Original" shots, better late than never...hope these help.

John
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 14:59:16 »
John,

Now I have a little other question here.
Is your trunk "tiefdunkelgrau DB 7164" or is it just flat black?

I think the coloring in the trunk changed sometime during the 250 SL production time. I've seen a few other fully original 230 SLs and those clearly had no dark grey trunk paint but black. I know that the 280 SLs had the "tiefdunkelgrau". But wehn did it change?

Any more comments on this here?
Very exciting !

Best,

Achim
(trunk color & knowledge collector)
Achim
(Germany)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:47:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by 114015

Any more comments on this here?
Very exciting !

Best,

Achim
(trunk color & knowledge collector)

Hi Achim, I have a related question... Do you know if the early cars with a vertical spare came with a fifth trim ring & hubcap? I was inspired by a recent photo of a trunk that had the trimmings -- so I bought a fifth set -- just curious if its the way they came. Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

jacovdw

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 11:45:56 »
James,

I am also not sure if the vertical spare came with the 5th hubcap and trimring or not. At least on my 230sl I have the 5th set and it does look more complete.

Regards,

Jaco van der Walt
1964 w113 230sl
1975 w114 230.6

paulr

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 13:30:33 »
does anyone have any of the tape for the trunk floor left over that they might sell to me for mine please?

paulr
1970 280 SL

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 12:11:48 »
Dear James,

I believe not.
The 5th set of chrome ring and hub cap doesn't really make sense. Otherwise other "better" MB cars of that era like the W111Cs should have that too. I believe the owners added that.
I know of at least one contemporary test report picture of a 230 SL without chrome trim on the spare wheel.

Just my 2 cents...

Achim
(Magdeburg, Germany)
Achim
(Germany)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 12:33:11 »
Once again, Thanks Achim. I had an inkling they didn't as mine was bare. But I decided to dress up my trunk and have a spare all at once.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL